Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at> on 2005/10/08 12:45:14 UTC

Is this really eBay?

Hi, is this an eBay e-mail? All the links are going to mediaplex.com,
that's what makes me ask. I've put the e-mail here:

http://zmi.at/x/ebay.txt

**** small part of e-mail
Sammeln und Seltenes:
http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=04

Briefmarken
http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=05
**** small part of e-mail

Thanks for checking.

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11

Re: Is this really eBay?

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Michael Monnerie wrote:

> Hi, is this an eBay e-mail? All the links are going to mediaplex.com,
> that's what makes me ask. I've put the e-mail here:
>
> http://zmi.at/x/ebay.txt
>
> **** small part of e-mail
> Sammeln und Seltenes:
> http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=04
>
> Briefmarken
> http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=05
> **** small part of e-mail

Try forwarding the message with all headers to spoof@ebay.com.

They are pretty quick in responding.  However, in this case, the url's are
a dead giveaway.

Ed
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly generated quote:
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Re: Is this really eBay?

Posted by Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com>.
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:45:14 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi, is this an eBay e-mail? All the links are going to mediaplex.com,
>that's what makes me ask. I've put the e-mail here:
>
>http://zmi.at/x/ebay.txt
>
>**** small part of e-mail
>Sammeln und Seltenes:
>http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=04
>
>Briefmarken
>http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=05
>**** small part of e-mail
>
>Thanks for checking.
>
>mfg zmi

Did you happen to check with ebay security?
http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/?ssPageName=home:f:f:US
Third menu choice down - "spoof 'fake' email".

Rather than ask a bunch of folks who can make educated guesses, you
might as well ask the people who can tell you for certain.

Mike-

--
Mornings:  Evolution in action.  Only the grumpy will survive.
--

Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
 filters at catherders.com.  If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,

Re: Is this really eBay?

Posted by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at>.
On Samstag, 8. Oktober 2005 12:51 Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > http://zmi.at/x/ebay.txt
> Nope. It's a scam, all eBay e-mails originates from ebay.com
> ebay.co.uk ebay.de etc...
> The e-mail you copied originates from easynet.de

Then why isn't the "spoofed eBay" rule hitting? It should be improved.
The last time I got SARE_FORGED_EBAY=104 for a similar e-mail (also
with mediaplex.com in it).

mfg zmi

Re: Is this really eBay?

Posted by Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.se>.
On 2005-10-08 12:45 Michael Monnerie wrote:
> Hi, is this an eBay e-mail? All the links are going to mediaplex.com,
> that's what makes me ask. I've put the e-mail here:
>
> http://zmi.at/x/ebay.txt
>
> **** small part of e-mail
> Sammeln und Seltenes:
> http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=04
>
> Briefmarken
> http://ebay.de.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1066-24214-7834-45?id=05
> **** small part of e-mail
>
> Thanks for checking.
>
> mfg zmi

Nope. It's a scam, all eBay e-mails originates from ebay.com ebay.co.uk
ebay.de etc...

The e-mail you copied originates from easynet.de

--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting