Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Junk <ju...@lexoncom.com> on 2017/12/01 00:22:35 UTC

Re: FIlter

I am aware of uridb blocked.
My server is in amazon cloud and uridb is blocked.
I do have private dns server caching only configured but my att dsl blocked dns port udp so I cannot use it.

I was wondering if I could add other spam filter which I asked the question about.

RE: FIlter

Posted by Kevin Miller <ke...@juneau.org>.
I could me misunderstanding, but it sounds like you have a DNS server on a different host than your mail server and that Amazon blocks that.  The recommendation is to install a DNS server on the *same* host as your mail server.  There will be no UDP traffic blocked between your mail server and DNS server if they're on the same host because the traffic from DNS server to mail server never leaves the box.

Normally DNS is configured to query root servers and other folks DNS servers on UPD 53; it's not clear to me if Amazon would be blocking that but I rather doubt it, as DNS is pretty much the backbone of the internet.  But even if they are, you can configure a DNS server to use TCP 53.  It's not as efficient but given that the DNS responses are cached, it's not all that burdensome either.

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.
Posted by Junk <ju...@lexoncom.com>.

Re: FIlter

Posted by Junk <ju...@lexoncom.com>.
right, did not read it correctly.

Re: FIlter

Posted by Junk <ju...@lexoncom.com>.
You calling me an idiot based on what?

According to URIBL:

Why are DNS queries from my cloud instances
(AmazonEC2/Softlayer/Rackspace/etc) blocked?

Large subnets owned by Amazon and other cloud providers have been blocked
due to high volume. Because amazon has so many networks, a single user may
have multiple mail exchanges on multiple networks, and we have no ability
to correlate this and block individual high volume users. We are looking
at ways of improving our query limit system for those coming from large
virtual hosting providers such as Amazon, but at this time we do not have
anything in place. We do offer discounted Datafeed over DNS rates for
low-volume, cloud hosted users who are effected by these wide ranging
blocks. See Requesting the Datafeed Service and choose 'Cloud Hosted' on
the request form.

So technically you can pay and you wont be blocked.

Re: FIlter

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Re: FIlter

Posted by Junk <ju...@lexoncom.com>.

Re: FIlter

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Re: FIlter

Posted by Junk <ju...@lexoncom.com>.
let me try if i can change the port to something else and then configure
firewall to forward from that port to the dns server on my network.