Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2010/08/30 19:58:53 UTC

[VOTE] Avro release 1.4.0 (rc1)

I have created a second candidate build for Avro release 1.4.0.

Changes are listed at:

   http://tinyurl.com/3yp6zrm

Please download, test, and vote by 31 August.

   http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro-1.4.0-rc1/

Thanks,

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.4.0 (rc1)

Posted by Michael Glaesemann <gr...@seespotcode.net>.
On Aug 30, 2010, at 18:07 , Doug Cutting wrote:

> I added the list of packages I needed to install to the BUILD.txt in the src tarball.  It was just php5, phpunit and php5-gmp.  Perhaps this information should be duplicated in PHP's README too.

I've created a patch to do this:

>> I'm unfamiliar with Ruby, and it is complaining about yajl meanwhile
>> 'gem install' doesn't know what yajl is

I believe the gem name is yajl-ruby (which is spelled correctly in BUILD.txt and in lang/ruby/Rakefile). I believe what's confusing here is that the required *library* is called 'yajl', which is what gets reported in the exception:

$ rake test
(in /Users/grzm/src/avro-svn/lang/ruby)
/Users/grzm/src/avro-svn/lang/ruby/rakefile:19: warning: already initialized constant VERSION
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby -Ilib:ext:bin:test "/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.3/lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/test_datafile.rb" "test/test_help.rb" "test/test_io.rb" "test/test_protocol.rb" "test/test_socket_transport.rb"
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- yajl (LoadError)

The require line could probably be wrapped in a begin/rescue block and report a more useful error message, but this wouldn't be very idiomatic. Then again, the naming is unfortunate and not very helpful if you're unfamiliar with Ruby and gem.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.4.0 (rc1)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On 08/30/2010 02:48 PM, Scott Carey wrote:
> Is it expected that one can unpack the src tarball and run build.sh?
> the 'dist' target does an svn export, so it breaks in an unversioned
> directory.  I suppose this is ok if the rest succeeds.

Perhaps we should make that fail with a more friendly error message, and
perhaps even make it work with git, but we currently rely on the source
control system to determine the set of source files.

> On Java, tests are not passing for me (from the tarball or trunk) :

Ugh.  I think Patrick is on vacation this week.  Philip?

> I don't have the proper requirements installed for php and have not
> completed a build.  We need some documentation on build
> requirements.

I added the list of packages I needed to install to the BUILD.txt in the
src tarball.  It was just php5, phpunit and php5-gmp.  Perhaps this
information should be duplicated in PHP's README too.

> I'm unfamiliar with Ruby, and it is complaining about yajl meanwhile
> 'gem install' doesn't know what yajl is and I'm stopping at that
> point for now.  Again, we might want to document the build
> requirements  (so far for me: echoe and yajl).

The packages I had to install on Ubuntu to build Ruby are listed in
BUILD.txt.

> Since I'm rather Ruby and PHP ignorant, I'll look past those.  I
> would like all the java tests to pass though.  Unfortunately, the one
> that is failing above works fine from eclipse or if I run it in
> isolation, and only fails when in batch with the others.  I won't
> have time to look into it in more detail today.

I have also seen that test fail sporadically but not consistently.  This
is new code that no one is using yet, so I'm not convinced that possible
bugs in it should stop the release, but I also don't like to ship a
release that doesn't pass unit tests.  So, if we can't figure this out,
perhaps we should temporarily disable these tests?

Thanks for reviewing this, Scott!

Doug

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.4.0 (rc1)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
Is it expected that one can unpack the src tarball and run build.sh?  the 'dist' target does an svn export, so it breaks in an unversioned directory.  I suppose this is ok if the rest succeeds.

On Java, tests are not passing for me (from the tarball or trunk) :

Perhaps some quirk of the file system on the Mac.

c, c++, python all build and test fine here.

I don't have the proper requirements installed for php and have not completed a build.  We need some documentation on build requirements.

I'm unfamiliar with Ruby, and it is complaining about yajl meanwhile 'gem install' doesn't know what yajl is and I'm stopping at that point for now.  Again, we might want to document the build requirements  (so far for me: echoe and yajl).

Since I'm rather Ruby and PHP ignorant, I'll look past those.  I would like all the java tests to pass though.  Unfortunately, the one that is failing above works fine from eclipse or if I run it in isolation, and only fails when in batch with the others.  I won't have time to look into it in more detail today.

-Scott