Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Zachary Hartley <zh...@linus.highpoint.edu> on 2004/03/25 07:19:28 UTC

JSP development environments

Hello,

I've just started a web project that aims to be pure JSP. Unfortunately,
I'm very new to all of this and have not found a satisfactory
environment in which to develop JSP pages. Normally, I use Eclipse for
my day to day Java programming, but I've found the various plugins for
Eclipse to be somewhat lacking so far (Lombez, MyEclipse, et al). I was
wondering if anybody had found an IDE-ish environment to work with on
JSP web applications. Or do mos people just use a text editor (vim,
emacs, et al) from a commandline, coupled with ant et al? Thanks for any
feedback on the subject!

Zach Hartley
--
zhartley@linus.highpoint.edu
http://www.ramensaurus.org

Re: JSP development environments

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
You might find this painful by the way. I've done things the "pure JSP"
way [and like it], but still find myself having to write beans to contain
data.

I'm unsure why that was. Need to check if JSTL-EL will work with Maps or
not. Xephyrus' collections taglib is useful if you try to go no-beans.

Apart from that, a pure JSP site is a joy to create and very fast. I still
advise doing things from an MVC point of view. The Model is your map/beans
structure, the View are lots of jsp pages which submit to your Controllers
which are other jsp pages that DO NOT display content to the user, they
merely do things to the structure and redirect.

I recommend a naming convention of _addFoo.jsp and add_foo.jsp, where the
first is the controller that does the adding and the latter is the html
form the user enters the foo data into.

By being pure JSP, you can take advantage of a rapid feedback cycle as you
can edit the JSP live on the development server. No deploys, restarts,
just a magical old system we 90's coders like to call the browser refresh.

Lastly, remember to use your Request scope majority of the time and not
your Session scope. That's a maxim that most JSP I've seen could do with
more adherence to.

Hen

Posted by Zachary Hartley <zh...@linus.highpoint.edu>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Zachary Hartley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just started a web project that aims to be pure JSP. Unfortunately,
> I'm very new to all of this and have not found a satisfactory
> environment in which to develop JSP pages. Normally, I use Eclipse for
> my day to day Java programming, but I've found the various plugins for
> Eclipse to be somewhat lacking so far (Lombez, MyEclipse, et al). I was
> wondering if anybody had found an IDE-ish environment to work with on
> JSP web applications. Or do mos people just use a text editor (vim,
> emacs, et al) from a commandline, coupled with ant et al? Thanks for any
> feedback on the subject!

What, exactly, do you mean by "pure JSP"? If you mean that you'll have
Java code embedded in the JSP pages, then my first recommendation would be
to eliminate Java code from your JSP pages at all costs.

I have to admit that I abandon Eclipse when I need to modify non-Java
files, and use my favourite editor (CodeWright) instead.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Is there a free trial for MyEclipse with Eclipse 3.0 yet? Colleagues have
bought it and liked it, but we've not started a new project with it yet as
we're mopping up the last project so I can't verify if it works well over
time.

For all the people saying 'jbuilder, netbeans, eclipse' etc, I'd like to
hear if any particular one tackles the problem in a radically different
and better way. Or if it just gives them colour coding. Eclipse' support
is mainly through plugins, so do plugins exist for the other IDEs, or are
they all just the stock features that come with the IDE? How about the
Websphere IDE?

Dreamweaver obviously tackles it differently as it approaches it from the
side of a website and not just the front end of Java code. However,
Dreamweaver is not JSP only so you're stuck with ASP/PHP generalities in
the general concept of the application which might mean there are nice
features you might not be getting.

Does Struts Studio contain any JSP stuff, or solely Struts based? [Ooo,
they have a JSF Studio coming soon...and this all plugs into Eclipse].

Hen

Posted by Lorenzo Sicilia <ar...@kemen.it>.

Posted by Tony Grant <to...@tgds.net>.
Le jeu 25/03/2004 à 07:19, Zachary Hartley a écrit :

> I've just started a web project that aims to be pure JSP. Unfortunately,
> I'm very new to all of this and have not found a satisfactory
> environment in which to develop JSP pages. Normally, I use Eclipse for
> my day to day Java programming, but I've found the various plugins for
> Eclipse to be somewhat lacking so far (Lombez, MyEclipse, et al). I was
> wondering if anybody had found an IDE-ish environment to work with on
> JSP web applications. Or do mos people just use a text editor (vim,
> emacs, et al) from a commandline, coupled with ant et al? Thanks for any
> feedback on the subject!

A combination of Dreamweaver MX and NetBeans

Cheers
Tony Grant
--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit

Re: JSP development environments

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Heh, is JBuilder that stunning for JSP? In the non-'enterprise' edition?
Above and beyond the other Java IDEs I mean.

I usually use either Vim or Eclipse and for JSP I've played at using
Dreamweaver. It seems to have a lot of the right things, but the previous
version just didn't seem to feel natural to me. The tag-completion seemed
to be hit and miss as to when it would work.

They've since released a new version, so this might be improved. Generally
the JSP support was worth a 7/10.

One nice plus of using something like Dreamweaver over a Java IDE is that
you are practicing good separation of the jsp from the java. Just because
you're doing 2 roles doesn't mean you have to do them in the same tool.

One downside is that Dreamweaver support for typical coding SCMs is quite
limited. It does MS VSS and its own proprietary basic scm. Otherwise you
have to do the cvs/svn/perforce/whatever in a separate tool.

Hen

Posted by Ananth R <an...@csa.iisc.ernet.in>.
Hello,

You can use JBuilder.

Ananth

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Zachary Hartley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just started a web project that aims to be pure JSP. Unfortunately,
> I'm very new to all of this and have not found a satisfactory
> environment in which to develop JSP pages. Normally, I use Eclipse for
> my day to day Java programming, but I've found the various plugins for
> Eclipse to be somewhat lacking so far (Lombez, MyEclipse, et al). I was
> wondering if anybody had found an IDE-ish environment to work with on
> JSP web applications. Or do mos people just use a text editor (vim,
> emacs, et al) from a commandline, coupled with ant et al? Thanks for any
> feedback on the subject!
>
> Zach Hartley
> --
> zhartley@linus.highpoint.edu
> http://www.ramensaurus.org

A N A N T H. R

RE: JSP development environments

Posted by Dave Butler <bu...@manxsoft.net>.
Unless you are going to splash out for J Builder X + optimize suite I would
stick with Eclipse. But JB + Optimizer is a huge increase in productivity.

Dave

Get Skype here http://www.skype.com/download.html

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

M7 seems to have good support for editing JSPs. I haven't used the product
but I just saw their online demo at: http://www.m7.com/

They provide code completion and step-wise debugging within the JSP source.
Although I use JBuilder, it seems like M7's level of JSP support in these
areas is better than JBuilder's at the moment. My understanding is that M7
is built on Eclipse so that part should be familiar to you.

- Jim

At 01:19 AM 3/25/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've just started a web project that aims to be pure JSP. Unfortunately,
>I'm very new to all of this and have not found a satisfactory environment
>in which to develop JSP pages. Normally, I use Eclipse for my day to day
>Java programming, but I've found the various plugins for Eclipse to be
>somewhat lacking so far (Lombez, MyEclipse, et al). I was wondering if
>anybody had found an IDE-ish environment to work with on JSP web
>applications. Or do mos people just use a text editor (vim, emacs, et al)
>from a commandline, coupled with ant et al? Thanks for any feedback on the
>subject!
>
>Zach Hartley
>--
>zhartley@linus.highpoint.edu