Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com> on 2007/09/11 00:03:59 UTC

Link Party

Can anyone tell me what the Link Party function under Party Manager does?
An implementation we are doing includes a significant number of customer
records that are duplicates. In these cases the same party may have
placed Orders under different partyId's. The client claims that
identification of duplicates  can only be done by humans( I doubt this
!!, but that is another story). What they have requested is that we
develop a service that will assign all records related to one party to
another partyId. I am wondering if Link Party can be leveraged here.

Thanks for any input

--
Dave Tenerowicz
dtenerowicz@salmonllc.com

Office: 303.493.6727
Mobile 303.906.6116
Fax 303.814.8330

Visit us at http://www.salmonllc.com

Re: Link Party

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com>.
Sorry, i didnot get that it was related for ecommerce duplicate entries. I
need to prevent backend (mostly party manager) duplicate entries. And in
this situation a warning generated from a seca precheck will be enough. I
should go this way.

Thanks

Re: Link Party

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
I did a pre-check (via SECA) that also asks for confirmation when a possible duplicate is detected.

But like I said, I just can't absolutely prevent users from entering duplicates!

Yes, the pre-check does help reduce instances of duplicates, since users are reminded about
already existing records.

At some point, we still need to reconcile duplicates caused by human error. I'm interested in this
particular process.

The case in discussion sounds like it has something to do with checkouts from ecommerce, where
anonymous shoppers create multiple userLogins. No way we can tell the anonymous shopper this: "Hi,
there's somebody else named Blah Bleh in our database. We'll show you all his details so you can
kindly confirm if that is really you?"

Jonathon

RE: Link Party

Posted by Skip <sk...@thedevers.org>.
I'll have the same duplicate removal requirement and am happy to split the
workload.

Posted by Skip <sk...@thedevers.org>.
I have the same needs for duplicate checker and am happy to split the
workload.

Skip

Re: Link Party

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
For the ecommerce side of things? Nice. Sort of like flagging possible duplicates for backend
handling.

Jonathon

Re: Link Party

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Link Party

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Re: Link Party

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

De : "Bilgin Ibryam" <bi...@iguanait.com>

Re: Link Party

Re: Link Party

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
IMO, the problem with "mere linkage" is that there'd be so many scattered pieces of data to stitch
together. Data retrieval or traversal will get a little heavy.

Might be better to simply reconcile duplicate Party(s) into one Party, and drop the duplicates
thereafter.

That said, I think the Link function can still work very nicely as an interim measure. Or even as
a permanent measure, if you don't mind having to keep track of scattered pieces of data. One
possible snag is when you perform a "lookup" function, say like "Find all Party(s) with name like
Blah". Your "lookup" function must consider linked Party(s) (aka duplicates), and NOT return those
results.

Jonathon

Re: Link Party

Posted by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com>.
Yes, that's what we'll be doing.

Re: Link Party

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Link Party

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Re: Link Party

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Link Party

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
dynamically assigned are usually only 256 so a class c scan is possible.
if the Host is a DHCP server it could have many blocks.
a lot of times for fraud checking, the normal data is changed, like
name, phone, address.
and we have customers that have more than one shipping address, phone
so just comparing names can be a problem, like john smith.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 9/10/2007 10:42 PM:

RE: Link Party

Re: Link Party

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.