Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by David Takle <dj...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/28 20:56:08 UTC

Sending IP Address in Emails

The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
Things are working nicely now.
However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which means
nothing to the recipient.
How do I send my IP address in the email?

Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it gives
the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address in
the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because the
router does not recognize the request.

~David

Re: {Disarmed} Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by kmn <km...@adginc.net>.
Look at something like no-ip.com, where you can attach a domain to a
dynamic address. they have a free version

--
Mark Newnham

American Data Group
(303)741-5711

believed to be clean.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com>.
David,

<dy...@onpointfc.com>wrote:
> > I've found that you need to log into OM with the FQDN of your OM server
> > (e.g.
> > http://openmeetings.mydomain.tld:5080/openmeetings).  At first, I was
> > using the
> > internal address of the OM server, so my invitees were instructed to go
> > to the
> > meeting at http://192.168.x.x<meeting_id>.  Clearly, that didn't work.
> >  Others
> > may know of another way to accomplish what you're after.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >
> > On Friday 28 September 2012 2:56:08 pm David Takle wrote:
> > > The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
> > > Things are working nicely now.
> > > However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which
> > > means nothing to the recipient.
> > > How do I send my IP address in the email?
> > >
> > > Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
> > > wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it
> >
> > gives
> >
> > > the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address
> > > in the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because
> > > the router does not recognize the request.
> > >
> > > ~David
> >
> > --
> > believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com>.
I'm not overly concerned about this, myself.  It's trivial to log in using the
FQDN, and get the proper link to my invitees.  But, if it's a best practices
thing, maybe I should make the changes in red5.properties.  Right now, the
directives I mentioned below are set to 0.0.0.0.

Dimitri

On Friday 28 September 2012 3:31:15 pm Jacob Gaiski wrote:
> Yes. I did this and have never had that issue. I also have about 4
> environments of Open Meetings on my machine for testing purposes. I
> wouldn't conclude 100%, but it's definitely worth a try! Router and
> firewall settings as well as firmware MAY also factor in.
>

> I can run through a test later tonight if needed for confirmation, unless
> someone else is able to confirm that this indeed does fix your issue.
>

> -Jake

believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Ah, see, there is a better way.  Thanks for pointing that out, Jacob.  I
take it
you change http.host, rtmp.host, and rtmps.host to the FQDN?

Dimitri

On Friday 28 September 2012 3:16:09 pm Jacob Gaiski wrote:
> Did you set the bindings to your external IP address in red5.properties?

believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com>.
Ah, see, there is a better way.  Thanks for pointing that out, Jacob.  I take it
you change http.host, rtmp.host, and rtmps.host to the FQDN?

Dimitri

On Friday 28 September 2012 3:16:09 pm Jacob Gaiski wrote:
> Did you set the bindings to your external IP address in red5.properties?

believed to be clean.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com>.
As to the second computer, the reason you can connect  to OM using an inside
address, but not an outside one, may be a function of your firewall/router.  In
our environment, we can't go outside to come inside.  It's a security thing.
We can connect to our OM server using its internal IP address.  But, we can't
use the external IP address, because we'd be going outside to come back and, as
Jake pointed out, that door is locked.

<dy...@onpointfc.com>wrote:
> [...]

believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by Jacob Gaiski <jg...@emich.edu>.
Yes.

How would you get through a door if it was locked?

It needs to be opened. Of course you could brute force it, but I doubt you’re trying to hack yourself.

    Your comment raises a lot of questions for me.
    First, are you using a laptop/desktop for your server? If so, how did you get a domain name for it?
    Second, using 'ipconfig' on my XP, I got a 192.168.x.x address that worked fine from my 2nd computer. Was that only because it is on the same side of the modem? Would that address not work for the rest of the world to use?
    Thanks!
    ~David

    On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com> wrote:

      I've found that you need to log into OM with the FQDN of your OM server (e.g.
      http://openmeetings.mydomain.tld:5080/openmeetings).  At first, I was using the
      internal address of the OM server, so my invitees were instructed to go to the
      meeting at http://192.168.x.x<meeting_id>.  Clearly, that didn't work.  Others
      may know of another way to accomplish what you're after.

      Dimitri

      On Friday 28 September 2012 2:56:08 pm David Takle wrote:
      > The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
      > Things are working nicely now.
      > However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which means
      > nothing to the recipient.
      > How do I send my IP address in the email?
      >
      > Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
      > wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it gives
      > the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address in
      > the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because the
      > router does not recognize the request.
      >
      > ~David

      believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by David Takle <dj...@gmail.com>.
Jake:
> [...]

> address(your routers IP.) Your router will take care of handling all of
> your requests, so don’t worry about that. Just open up the ports that you
> need, and start your service.
>
> Be sure you have opened the port in Windows Firewall(or whatever OS) AS
> WELL as the router.(assuming you have more than one layer of security.)
>

> Now, once you have that set. locate the file “red5.properties”(typically
> within the /dist/ folder of your openmeetings directory.) If you still
> cannot find it, search your machine for it.
>

> I was able to do a ctrl+h(replace all) and replace ALL instances of
> “.host=0.0.0.0” with “.host=YourIPHere”.
>

> Hopefully this will give you a thourough understanding of what
> communication is going on between your machine, your router, and the rest
> of the internet.
>
> Remember, the internet is nothing more than billions of networks that

    believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by David Takle <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacob Gaiski <jg...@emich.edu>.
Did you set the bindings to your external IP address in red5.properties?

Your comment raises a lot of questions for me.
First, are you using a laptop/desktop for your server? If so, how did you get a domain name for it?
Second, using 'ipconfig' on my XP, I got a 192.168.x.x address that worked fine from my 2nd computer. Was that only because it is on the same side of the modem? Would that address not work for the rest of the world to use?
Thanks!
~David

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com> wrote:

  I've found that you need to log into OM with the FQDN of your OM server (e.g.
  http://openmeetings.mydomain.tld:5080/openmeetings).  At first, I was using the
  internal address of the OM server, so my invitees were instructed to go to the
  meeting at http://192.168.x.x<meeting_id>.  Clearly, that didn't work.  Others
  may know of another way to accomplish what you're after.

  Dimitri

  On Friday 28 September 2012 2:56:08 pm David Takle wrote:
  > The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
  > Things are working nicely now.
  > However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which means
  > nothing to the recipient.
  > How do I send my IP address in the email?
  >
  > Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
  > wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it gives
  > the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address in
  > the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because the
  > router does not recognize the request.
  >
  > ~David

  believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by Jacob Gaiski <jg...@emich.edu>.
Sorry to write twice. Typically your routers IP address is your entire networks external IP address. http://www.whatismyip.com/ will tell you.

I’m sure you’re aware of networking, but the router handles all requests and pools them into a DB. It then determines which request goes to which machine. Assuming your router does not have immense security, it should always be able to find the service assuming that your IP address is bound to your external IP.

If your server is running in a DMZ than the situation might be a little different.

Been a while since I’ve had to do networking.

-Jake

Your comment raises a lot of questions for me.
First, are you using a laptop/desktop for your server? If so, how did you get a domain name for it?
Second, using 'ipconfig' on my XP, I got a 192.168.x.x address that worked fine from my 2nd computer. Was that only because it is on the same side of the modem? Would that address not work for the rest of the world to use?
Thanks!
~David

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com> wrote:

  I've found that you need to log into OM with the FQDN of your OM server (e.g.
  http://openmeetings.mydomain.tld:5080/openmeetings).  At first, I was using the
  internal address of the OM server, so my invitees were instructed to go to the
  meeting at http://192.168.x.x<meeting_id>.  Clearly, that didn't work.  Others
  may know of another way to accomplish what you're after.

  Dimitri

  On Friday 28 September 2012 2:56:08 pm David Takle wrote:
  > The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
  > Things are working nicely now.
  > However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which means
  > nothing to the recipient.
  > How do I send my IP address in the email?
  >
  > Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
  > wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it gives
  > the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address in
  > the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because the
  > router does not recognize the request.
  >
  > ~David

  believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by David Takle <dj...@gmail.com>.
Dimitri,

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com>.
I've found that you need to log into OM with the FQDN of your OM server (e.g.
http://openmeetings.mydomain.tld:5080/openmeetings).  At first, I was using the
internal address of the OM server, so my invitees were instructed to go to the
meeting at http://192.168.x.x<meeting_id>.  Clearly, that didn't work.  Others
may know of another way to accomplish what you're after.

Dimitri

On Friday 28 September 2012 2:56:08 pm David Takle wrote:
> The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
> Things are working nicely now.
> However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which means
> nothing to the recipient.
> How do I send my IP address in the email?
>
> Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
> wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it gives
> the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address in
> the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because the
> router does not recognize the request.
>
> ~David

believed to be clean.

Re: Sending IP Address in Emails

Posted by David Takle <dj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. I will give that a try as soon as I figure out how to login to my
router [?]

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@onpointfc.com>.
Your second question: you need to forward port 5080 to your PC, if your wireless
router has port forwarding capability (it should).

HTH

Dimitri

On Friday 28 September 2012 2:56:08 pm David Takle wrote:
> The Derby DB went nutso on me, so I started over with MySQL.
> Things are working nicely now.
> However, when I send out an email invite, it says "localhost" which means
> nothing to the recipient.
> How do I send my IP address in the email?
>
> Further, how do I get the IP address of my PC when it goes through a
> wireless router? If I go to a website that provides my IP address, it gives
> the address of my router, not the PC. If I substitute that IP address in
> the email invitation, it does not connect to OpenMeetings because the
> router does not recognize the request.
>
> ~David

believed to be clean.