Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/29 12:21:50 UTC

RHEL/CentOS 8.x Install, Needed Packages?

Hello,

I have been working on adapting my script for installing and configuring
Guac on RHEL/CentOS 7.x to working with 8.x. (current 7.x version here for
reference: https://github.com/Zer0CoolX/guacamole-install-rhel).

One of the biggest challenges I am facing is with package names changing or
packages being removed entirely from official repos (and even trustworthy
3rd party repos) with RHEL/CentOS 8.x. It seems as if the page:
https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html has not been
updated to reflect RHEL/CentOS 8.x

Good examples are as follows:

- libtelnet
- libtelnet-devel
- libwebsocket
- libwebsocket-devel
- libssh2
- libssh2-devel

It appears these packages are no longer in the official repos. Is there
another trustworthy/reliable repo to grab them from? To be honest, I am not
too worried about telnet, but Kubernetes support seems like something
I/people would want to have and while epel-testing lists libwebsockets it
will not install (needs libuv and cant find it). I did find libssh2 in epel
and that appears to be installable.

Tomcat has also been removed from the repos, seemingly on purpose by Red
Hat. Is the best way to use Tomcat on RHEL/CentOS 8.x to get the tar.gz
direct from the official site and unpack it/configure it or is there a
trustworthy/reliable repo with Tomcat 9.x for RHEL/CentOS 8.x I am unaware
of?

Laslty, libjpeg-turbo. The dev has a yum repo that I have used, but it
appears it only pulls libjpeg-turbo and not libjpeg-turbo-devel. Is there
any benefit to having LJT 2.x (or whatever the latest version is) with the
LJT-devel package from official repos (1.5.x I think at this time)? Should I
just use both versions from the OS repos (1.5.x)?

Any help is greatly appreciated and will hopefully go beyond just helping
myself. Thanks!

Re: RHEL/CentOS 8.x Install, Needed Packages?

Posted by Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I was aware of the Development Tools group but for my install script I am
trying to install the bare minimum needed. I will admit, figuring out what
the minimum is may be more trouble than its worth, but its a matter of
principal/pride/(maybe stupidity) on my part.

Good info about libjpeg-turbo, maybe I will move away from using the LJT
repo and just get the LJT-devel from the OS repo. Should simplify the
script/setup a bit and does not sound like there would be anything to lose.
However, you mention ldd to verify whats used to build against, could you
elaborate as I am not familiar with the command. Wouldnt hurt to verify that
LJT 2.x isnt being used to build against before removing it.

As for RH, I would have agreed 6 months ago. However you hit the nail on the
head with my thoughts behind the "why?". I-B-M. People flipped out when they
bought up RH and then took 1 of 2 sides...

A) Its the end of the world/IBM sucks/destroys everything they touch
B) The other side is over reacting nothing will change for the worse.

As I read release notes for 8.x and even 7.8 I am seeing IBM's hand in
things and its giving me that feeling you get when you know something is off
but hasn't crossed a line yet.

While your point is certainly valid about them having open source
alternatives, in most cases those alternatives are readily available. The
real concern in this case is they have removed a free, open source, widely
used competitor (tomcat) to their paid product and then do not even include
the open source version of that product in their own default repos (IE:
could not find wildfly in the CentOS repos). In the case of CentOS this
essentially leaves no "easy" option from the repos.

Beyond just tomcat, they seem to be shifting away from
(remove/deprecating/etc) many things that appear to be motivated by IBM in
the background vs legitimate business needs (which as you point out they
have in the past struck a good/fair balance of) and whats best for users
(aka customers for RHEL).

Its hard to pinpoint it all, but after reading over release notes for 8.x's
and 7.8, especially the deprecated and bugs parts...it does not inspire
confidence.

In any case, plan to stick to tomcat as long as its possible to. Just ashame
that RH cant be bothered to include it in the repos. Hell, I would even
settle for EPEL having it.

Re: RHEL/CentOS 8.x Install, Needed Packages?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
thanks for the updates - see my comments inline...

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 10:25 AM Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to both of you. I ended up working this out and figured I would post
> back my findings in case they help others.
>
> -libtelnet | I gave up on this one. Does NOT seem to be in regular EPEL
> repo, maybe one of the testing or something but honestly didnt push hard to
> find it. Really, I have trouble thinking of a use case in which I or most
> need telnet support via Guac. I am sure some may use it for particular
> things, but it cant be that wide spread.
>
> Yeah, it isn't shocking that support for telnet is becoming harder and
harder to find.  Most people have ditched it in favor of SSH - like a
decade ago :-).  I know there are still legitimate uses for it out there,
but SSH support has become pretty common.

> - libwebsockets-devel | the package itself is actually in the epel-testing
> (version 4.x vs 2/3.x in 3rd party repos), but has dependent packages from
> CentOS's Devel repo. The major dependency being libuv. To install I used:
> dnf install -y libwebsockets-devel --enablerepo=epel-testing
> --enablerepo=Devel
>
> - libssh2 | came from epel. Should Guac move to libssh, that is in the
> CentOS repo I believe.

Yes, both RHEL and CentOS package libssh by default in EL8, now.  Mike is
working on implementing support for that in guacd, in his huge amount of
free time these days :-).

> As for Tomcat, my attempt to subtly throw shade at them for removing it may
> not have translated in email. According to the RHEL 8.x release notes they
> deprecated tomcat in favor of JBoss web server...which is not free, but is
> based on Apache tomcat and web server. I would imagine its not in CentOS
> 8.x, at least when exploring alternatives it didnt come up. Maybe the open
> source base of Jboss is in CentOS, forget the name of it. In any case I
> plan
> to install Tomcat 9.x for my needs from the tar.gz. Not thrilled by the
> seemingly greedy move on RH's part here.

<soapbox>
At the risk of starting a religious war on the mailing list, I have to
defend Red Hat, here, because I don't think this is a fair
characterization.  I actually think that Red Hat is one of a handful of
companies that have done a good job of balancing the need to make money as
an organization with/against supporting Open Source initiatives (we can
argue about who does it better than who, but they're on the top of the
list).  Every single one of Red Hat's products is available in an Open
Source (aka Community) version - at least, I don't know of any exceptions
to this.  RHEL -> CentOS, RHV -> oVirt, Satellite -> SpaceWalk, OpenShift
-> OpenShift, Ansible, etc.  JBOSS is *not* an exception to this rule - I
believe the Open Source equivalent is called WildFly (
https://wildfly.org/downloads/).  It may be harder to find, and, obviously,
RedHat is going to steer you in the direction of the subscription
equivalents, because they're a business and they need to make money to
survive.  But, IMHO, they have earned a good reputation for support of Open
Source software.

Whether that sticks around as the Red Hat + IBM stuff moves forward remains
to be seen - I hope so, but these things have a way of going sideways at
some point in time, and only time will tell.  Also, related to JBOSS,
specifically, IBM has a competing product (Websphere), so it'll be
interesting to see how that Java Application Server game plays out.

And, lest there's any question about my defense, I do not work for Red Hat,
they don't support (e.g. pay, sponsor) me, etc.  In my Day Job I am a
customer, so I pay them - but I'm happy to pay a company like that based on
how fair I think they are in providing open source software versus charging
for it.
</soapbox>

As far as why they'd move away from packaging Tomcat and push you toward
JBOSS - well, they are a business and it is a product.  Outside of that,
there are other considerations - like the amount of time it takes to test
and package updated versions, and Tomcat has a pretty active release
schedule, so I would imagine this isn't a trivial effort for them to go
through.  Between that and probably looking at their data from their RHEL
customers to see who's running what, I would imagine it just made the most
sense from a maintainability standpoint.  EL7 never really got much of an
update of Tomcat after its initial release - it stuck at version 7 the
whole time, while Tomcat progressed through versions 8.0, 8.5, and 9.0.
And, if we're being fair, installing Tomcat from .tar.gz or .zip isn't all
that difficult.  Not as clean/easy as "yum install", but, still, reasonably
easy, and updating it is pretty easy - probably a 3-line script to pull the
latest version, make a backup copy, and extract the new version.

- make | for what its worth, despite installing gcc, and in CentOS 7.x that
> including make (I think) I had to explicitly install make on CentOS 8.x

In EL7 there is a Development tools group - not sure if this carried over
to EL8 - that would get you the right base packages:

yum groupinstall Development\ tools

> To clarify with libjpeg-turbo (LJT onward for ease) there are 2 packages.
> LJT itself, which is in the CentOS repo as version 1.5.x and available from
> the LJT yum repo as version 2.x.x. Likewise, LJT-devel is available in the
> CentOS repos as version 1.5.x but does not seem to be packaged in the LJT
> yum repo, aka they have no -devel version.
>
> So my questions is basically this: ljt/ljt-devel 1.5.x from CentOS OR ljt
> 2.x.x from ljt repo with ljt-devel 1.5.x from CentOS (OR is it possible to
> get ljt/ljt-devel 2.x.x both ?)? Put another way, any advantage to having
> ljt 2.x.x with ljt-devel 1.5.x?
>
> No, there would be no use of having the 2.x libraries with the 1.5.x devel
package - generally if you install the -devel package it will also install
the runtime, and Guacamole will likely build against the 1.5.x versions.
You can use ldd to verify this against the libraries.  I also do not know
of any additional optimizations (performance or bandwidth) with Guacamole
that having the 2.x version would provide, but I haven't looked all that
deep.

-Nick

Re: RHEL/CentOS 8.x Install, Needed Packages?

Posted by Sebastian Männling <se...@qubestack.org>.
packages for libwebsocket and libwebsocket-devel can be found in the remi repository (https://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/8/remi/x86_64/repoview/libwebsockets-devel.html)
although this seems to be an outdated or at least older version (and you need to decide for yourself whether it is a safe/trustworth source)

regarding libjpeg-turbo-devel, i would stick to the package shiped with centos/rhel,
but from compareing the shiped package:
rpm -ql  libjpeg-turbo-devel
/usr/include/jconfig-64.h
/usr/include/jconfig.h
/usr/include/jerror.h
/usr/include/jmorecfg.h
/usr/include/jpegint.h
/usr/include/jpeglib.h
/usr/lib64/libjpeg.so
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libjpeg.pc

with the rpm provided by the developer,
rpm2cpio libjpeg-turbo-official-2.0.4.x86_64.rpm | cpio -civt | grep -E ".h$|.pc$|.so "
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        46866 Dec 31 08:26 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/bin/tjbench
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         2166 Dec 31 08:24 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/jconfig.h
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        15177 Dec 31 08:10 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/jerror.h
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        15143 Dec 31 08:10 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/jmorecfg.h
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        50281 Dec 31 08:10 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/jpeglib.h
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        73889 Dec 31 08:10 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/turbojpeg.h
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Dec 31 08:26 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/libjpeg.so -> libjpeg.so.62
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Dec 31 08:26 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/libturbojpeg.so -> libturbojpeg.so.0
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          279 Dec 31 08:24 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/pkgconfig/libjpeg.pc
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          291 Dec 31 08:24 ./opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/pkgconfig/libturbojpeg.pc

there are at least some of the headers, so to me it looks like devel files are included in this package...

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 21:44 CEST, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:
 On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:21 AM Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> wrote:Hello,

I have been working on adapting my script for installing and configuring
Guac on RHEL/CentOS 7.x to working with 8.x. (current 7.x version here for
reference: https://github.com/Zer0CoolX/guacamole-install-rhel).

One of the biggest challenges I am facing is with package names changing or
packages being removed entirely from official repos (and even trustworthy
3rd party repos) with RHEL/CentOS 8.x. It seems as if the page:
https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html has not been
updated to reflect RHEL/CentOS 8.x
  No, that documentation has not been updated to reflect these changes. Good examples are as follows:

- libtelnet
- libtelnet-devel
- libwebsocket
- libwebsocket-devel
- libssh2
- libssh2-devel

It appears these packages are no longer in the official repos. Is there
another trustworthy/reliable repo to grab them from? To be honest, I am not
too worried about telnet, but Kubernetes support seems like something
I/people would want to have and while epel-testing lists libwebsockets it
will not install (needs libuv and cant find it). I did find libssh2 in epel
and that appears to be installable.
  libtelnet has always been part of the EPEL repo, I believe.  I think someone mentioned recently that libssh2 has been added, as well. Beyond that, we're also looking at moving guacd (back) to libssh instead of libssh2. Tomcat has also been removed from the repos, seemingly on purpose by Red
Hat. Is the best way to use Tomcat on RHEL/CentOS 8.x to get the tar.gz
direct from the official site and unpack it/configure it or is there a
trustworthy/reliable repo with Tomcat 9.x for RHEL/CentOS 8.x I am unaware
of?
  This is what I do, anyway.  I think EL7 shipped with Tomcat 7 or something like that, and they never did much in the way of updating it, so I always pull Tomcat down from the Tomcat page to get the latest.  EL8 probably ships with JBOSS, since RedHat maintains that. Laslty, libjpeg-turbo. The dev has a yum repo that I have used, but it
appears it only pulls libjpeg-turbo and not libjpeg-turbo-devel. Is there
any benefit to having LJT 2.x (or whatever the latest version is) with the
LJT-devel package from official repos (1.5.x I think at this time)? Should I
just use both versions from the OS repos (1.5.x)?
  Not sure on this one - I think whatever is available should be fine.  The install instructions mention both libjpeg-turbo-devel and libjpeg-devel. -Nick

Re: RHEL/CentOS 8.x Install, Needed Packages?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.