Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2018/12/02 06:06:26 UTC

Filename too long

Gary, when I clone the git repo to my Windows VM I am getting the error message

error: unable to create file log4j-1.2-api/src/test/resources/config-1.2/hadoop/hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-applications-unmanaged-am-launcher/src/test/resources/log4j.properties: Filename too long

How are you dealing with this?

Ralph

Re: Filename too long

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Dominik Psenner,
am Freitag, 22. Februar 2019 um 22:35 schrieben Sie:

> I wonder when the (not so) "special" characters ":?" will
> become acceptable in file and directory names..

Most likely never, because both are already in use: ":" for Alternate
Data Streams which are pretty much the same like Extended Attributes
on other file systems.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc781134%28v%3dws.10%29#multiple-data-streams
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/file-streams#naming-conventions-for-streams

And as the example for long Unicode paths already showed, "?" is
heavily used in internal namespaces for various objects:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/fileio/naming-a-file#nt-namespaces

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Filename too long

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Thorsten! I was not aware of these changes. Finally a step into the
right direction. I wonder when the (not so) "special" characters ":?" will
become acceptable in file and directory names..
--
Dominik Psenner

Re: Filename too long

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Dominik Psenner,

Re: Filename too long

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
As a guideline I recommend my fellow developers to not have reduntant names
in the directory paths of a repository. In your example I counted 4 times
hadoop-yarn which is 3 times too many. Unfortunately windows in the year

Re: Filename too long

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.