Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Sag <ds...@epo.org> on 2005/10/03 11:49:19 UTC

when compiling with m2 using Java 1.4 on Mac OSX asserts are not being recognised.

Hi M2 people,

I am evaluating maven 2 and test-porting some small projects over to m2
from ant and m1.

I am finding it mostly straightforward but i can't work out how to tell
maven2 that i want to enable asserts.  whenever i compile i just get the
error

cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method assert (boolean)

I have tried forcing java1.4 in the pom.xml with the following :

<plugins>
    <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <source>1.4</source>
          <target>1.4</target>
        </configuration>
    </plugin>
</plugins>

but it made no difference.

i looked through the issues in jira and found nothing to indicate that
this is a known bug.

has anyone else hit this and if so how do i work-around it?

Kind regards,

Dave Sag

Re: when compiling with m2 using Java 1.4 on Mac OSX asserts are not being recognised.

Posted by ni...@uk.bnpparibas.com.
I also had this problem today with jdk 1.4.2_04 complier,  but when I added
below) it worked fine for me.
So I can confirm that feature works for me  - are you sure maven is using a
1.4 compiler?

Nick

Extranet
agwilliams1000@mac.com - 03/10/2005 15:36

Please respond to users@maven.apache.org

To:    users

cc:

Subject:    Re: when compiling with m2 using Java 1.4 on Mac OSX asserts
       are not being recognised.

Could you check which version of java maven is running in?

I haven't been able to reproduce your problem. I'm currently running
Java 5 on Mac OS X and have used the assert keyword. The only thing I
could think of is that you're running maven under jdk1.3, but then I
would have expected an 'unknown source/target' error before it even
tried to compile your code.

So I don't believe the problem lies with Maven.

Just a thought: was the assert keyword introduced at version 1.4.2?
Might be worth a google.

AW

On 3 Oct 2005, at 10:49, David Sag wrote:

> Hi M2 people,
>
> I am evaluating maven 2 and test-porting some small projects over
> to m2 from ant and m1.
>
> I am finding it mostly straightforward but i can't work out how to
> tell maven2 that i want to enable asserts.  whenever i compile i
> just get the error
>
> cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : method assert (boolean)
>
> I have tried forcing java1.4 in the pom.xml with the following :
>
> <plugins>
>     <plugin>
>       <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>       <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>         <configuration>
>           <source>1.4</source>
>           <target>1.4</target>
>         </configuration>
>     </plugin>
> </plugins>
>
> but it made no difference.
>
> i looked through the issues in jira and found nothing to indicate
> that this is a known bug.
>
> has anyone else hit this and if so how do i work-around it?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dave Sag

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Re: [m2] asserts aren't recognized with surefire

Posted by David Sag <ds...@epo.org>.
oh FYI - adding

export MAVEN_OPTS=-ea

to my .profile made everything work fine.

Kind regards,
Dave Sag

Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>
04/10/05 03:10 PM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [m2] asserts aren't recognized with surefire

Have you tried launching maven with the java -ea switch? I don't
think you can control these switches with surefire or any of the
other maven plugins as far as I can tell, so I think you have to
configure your own vm as best as you can.

I've just had a look at m2 shell script and I think you can set
MAVEN_OPTS to achieve this. Let me know how you get on because I
should be using asserts more often than I do!

Posted by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>.
You should know that what I've been suggesting is also in my humble
opinion - I don't know for sure that there isn't an 'easy' way to
configure the vm. If not them maybe you could expand your jira issue
to include vm configuration in general rather than just for enabling
asserts - maybe wait til the end of the day for any more responses.

I too am a recent convert to Maven and have found lots of stuff
missing that I know I would personally love to have, but it's the age
old problem of there not being 37 hours in the day for the dev team
like the rest of us. In the meantime I find the people on this
mailing list very helpful.

AW

Posted by David Sag <ds...@epo.org>.
Hi Ashley,