Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Timur Fayruzov <ti...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/13 04:53:26 UTC

Single-replication topic behavior on failures

Hello,

We have a number of topics with replication factor of 1 and a single
partition. I want to update the cluster from 0.10.0 to 0.10.1 by taking
nodes down one by one, but it is not clear to me what is the behavior will
be for these topics.

Brokers have topic auto-create setting set to true. When a broker that
stores singly-replicated topics goes down, what happens when some producer
decides to publish to that topic? Is a new topic created or publishing
fails?

I understand that replication factor 1 is a bad practice that can incur
data loss and I'm ok with that for the kind of data stored there.

Thanks,
Timur

Re: Single-replication topic behavior on failures

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think you will get LeaderNotAvailable exception and producer requests
will fail.