Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ronan Klyne <ro...@groupbc.com> on 2009/10/19 17:03:31 UTC

Run sampler in only one thread at a time.

Hi all,

I have a scenario to test in which there is one controller user and many
subordinates. Each user is only allowed to log in from one place at a
time (only one cookie string will be valid at once).

I would like the subordinates to be able to send reports to the
controller, and then verify that the controller recieved them. In order
to compare the posted data with the controllers page, I have my
subordinates log out, then, in that thread, log in as the controller to
verify that the information was sent correctly. After this is done, the
thread will log out of the controller account and continue it's
subordinate work.

Is it possible to put some kind of synchronisation in my test plan such
that only one thread at a time is allowed to run the controller samples?

Thanks,

    Ronan

Re: Run sampler in only one thread at a time.

Posted by Ronan Klyne <ro...@groupbc.com>.
Deepak Shetty wrote:
> hi
> as far as I know , you cannot directly do this in JMeter.
> However if you get an identifiable error message when your controller user
> attempts to login (if there is already a controller logged in), then you
> might be able to poll in a loop.

Unfortunately, logging in a second time will invalidate the first
session, and the tests using that first session will fail.

I'm starting to think about using a Beanshell timer and post-processor
to manage a semaphore type lock, but that's really hacky and prone to
errors.
The same could be said for writing a CGI script to handle the
synchronisation with delayed http responses and sampling that.

> I guess you could also decouple the controller as a separate thread group
> and base a final test on how many reports he received v/s how many he should
> have

I'd like to be able to do this in the same thread so as to have the
posted data in memory when I do the comparison. I suppose that I could
always write that out to a file....

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi