Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com> on 2013/03/18 17:17:19 UTC

mvn -amd should honour dependencyManagement POM imports

Hi all,

some colleagues and me are wondering if it is intentional that mvn -amd
does not build submodules which depend on a POM via means of a POM
import in the dependencyManagement section, like so:

  <dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>amd-test</groupId>
        <artifactId>dependency-management</artifactId>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <scope>import</scope>
        <type>pom</type>
      </dependency>
    </dependencies>
  </dependencyManagement>

I set up an example project here:
https://github.com/ansgarkonermann/maven-amd-experiment

The project has three submodules:

  <modules>
    <module>dependency-management</module>
    <module>java-library</module>
    <module>gui</module>
  </modules>

Both 'java-library' and 'gui' import 'dependency-management'.

We'd expect Maven to build gui and java-library when issuing mvn -amd
-pl dependency-management, however only dependency-management gets build.

Is this by intention or more of a potentially missing feature?

>From our point of view, it would be advantageous to have this as a Maven
feature, so we can update the dependency management POM(s) in our
project and call mvn -amd to build all modules depending on the changed
dependency management POM.

Is it possible to implement this in Maven? In your opinion, is it also a
useful feature?

Best regards

Ansgar

Re: mvn -amd should honour dependencyManagement POM imports

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 18.03.2013 19:01, schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> Smells like a bug, I'd be interested in other's thoughts, but absence
> further input to the contrary, please one a jira

Filed MNG-5455 [1]

Best regards
Ansgar

[1] https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5455

Re: mvn -amd should honour dependencyManagement POM imports

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Monday, 18 March 2013, Ansgar Konermann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> some colleagues and me are wondering if it is intentional that mvn -amd
> does not build submodules which depend on a POM via means of a POM
> import in the dependencyManagement section, like so:
>
>   <dependencyManagement>
>     <dependencies>
>       <dependency>
>         <groupId>amd-test</groupId>
>         <artifactId>dependency-management</artifactId>
>         <version>1.0</version>
>         <scope>import</scope>
>         <type>pom</type>
>       </dependency>
>     </dependencies>
>   </dependencyManagement>
>
> I set up an example project here:
> https://github.com/ansgarkonermann/maven-amd-experiment
>
> The project has three submodules:
>
>   <modules>
>     <module>dependency-management</module>
>     <module>java-library</module>
>     <module>gui</module>
>   </modules>
>
> Both 'java-library' and 'gui' import 'dependency-management'.
>
> We'd expect Maven to build gui and java-library when issuing mvn -amd
> -pl dependency-management, however only dependency-management gets build.
>
> Is this by intention or more of a potentially missing feature?
>
> From our point of view, it would be advantageous to have this as a Maven
> feature, so we can update the dependency management POM(s) in our
> project and call mvn -amd to build all modules depending on the changed
> dependency management POM.
>
> Is it possible to implement this in Maven? In your opinion, is it also a
> useful feature?
>
> Best regards
>
> Ansgar

Sent from my phone