Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2015/09/07 20:06:03 UTC

Input on solution for "Could not generate DH keypair" error w/SSL connection

Hi there,

Some background first…

I was using a fairly old version of HttpClient (4.2.5) to access some Wikipedia pages, and started getting SSLPeerUnverifiedException errors while connecting.

One change was that Wikipedia recently started only supporting https connections - see http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/12/wikipedia-to-start-using-secure-https-by-default-for-all-users/

But getting details on what was going wrong was challenging - enabling HTTP wire logging didn't show me much useful information.

Once I enabled SSL Handshake debug via the Java VM parameter -Djavax.net.debug=ssl:handshake, I could see that the error was "Could not generate DH keypair"

I then followed the second suggestion at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10687200/java-7-and-could-not-generate-dh-keypair, which involves getting rid of ciphers that cause problems with Java 7.

Here's my modified SSLSocketFactory (and yes, for 4.3 or later I should be using SSLConnectionSocketFactory)...

    private static class MySSLSocketFactory extends SSLSocketFactory {

        public MySSLSocketFactory(SSLContext sslContext) {
            super(sslContext);
        }

        @Override
        protected void prepareSocket(SSLSocket socket) throws IOException {
            super.prepareSocket(socket);

            String[] enabledCipherSuites = socket.getEnabledCipherSuites();

            // avoid hardcoding a new list, we just remove the entries
            // which cause the exception
            List<String> asList = new ArrayList<String>(Arrays.asList(enabledCipherSuites));

            // See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10687200/java-7-and-could-not-generate-dh-keypair
            // we identified the following entries causing the problems
            // "Could not generate DH keypair"
            // and "Caused by: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: Prime size must be multiple of 64, and can only range from 512 to 1024 (inclusive)"
            asList.remove("TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA");
            asList.remove("SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA");
            asList.remove("TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA");

            socket.setEnabledCipherSuites(asList.toArray(new String[asList.size()]));
        }
    }

This seems to be working fine, but it feels like a hack to remove specific ciphers.

Is there a better (more robust) solution? Should this only be used if an un-hacked try fails with this kind of problem?

Thanks,

-- Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: Input on solution for "Could not generate DH keypair" error w/SSL connection

Posted by Ryan Fulghum <ry...@gmail.com>.
We did the same thing in our Android app to remove unwanted Ciphers. We
queried for enabled cipher suites in prepareSocket() and evicted the
unwanted.

Posted by Stefan Magnus Landrø <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.