Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Adrian Greeman <ad...@pixandwords.freeserve.co.uk> on 2007/12/06 17:11:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Install question 2.2.6

I have had Apache, MySQL and PHP running for several years to footle around
on a local computer. Everything fine.

Recently had to reload Win XP SP2

I installed Apache as I had before, this time with 2.2.6. It seemed OK and
the browser displayed "It works" and the feather symbol appear in the task
bar.

Then I restarted the computer and found the symbol had vanished. Could not
make PHP work and then started getting a problem about "port 80 already in
use".  I don't know what was using that (not Skype which I had not yet
loaded).

I uninstalled and reloaded Apache and now "It works" appears on the browser
as before.  Apache restarts if you ask it too quite happily. But again the
task bar symbol has vanished after the first restart of the computer.

I do not know what port Apache is using.

I have to load php etc now and so forth.

But I help back because am concerned that this missing symbol might all mean
something especially as I think Port 80 might be important for PHP.

Any advice on how to check the port in use and why the symbol does not
appear?  Is it something to be concerned about?

Adrian G

Re: [users@httpd] Install question 2.2.6

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Dec 6, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Adrian Greeman wrote:

> Any advice on how to check the port in use and why the symbol does not
> appear?  Is it something to be concerned about?

The port in use is determined by the Listen directive in Apache's
configuration file.  You can quickly find that by going Start -> All
Programs -> Apache HTTP Server 2.2.6 -> Configure Apache Server ->
Edit the Apache httpd.conf Configuration File.  You'll probably find
a 'Listen 80' statement in the file.

Finding and removing (or disabling) whatever is getting in the way of
Apache is up to you -- we can't see what else is installed on your
computer.

The Systray icon is a small program called ApacheMonitor.exe that
gets installed together with the server and activated.  It doesn't
always show up, especially if you're on a domain account and your
profile is in a strange place.  All ApacheMonitor does is display the
status of the Apache2.2 Windows Service.  You can also use it to
start and stop the Windows Service.  Presence or absence of
ApacheMonitor in your Systray does not have any bearing on the actual
Apache2.2 Windows Service.

S.

--
Sander Temme