Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Kaplan, Andrew H." <AH...@PARTNERS.ORG> on 2003/06/06 20:21:45 UTC

[users@httpd] htaccess authentication not working

I am trying to set up authentication to the webserver using the .htaccess
file. Here are the steps that I have completed:

		1. Modified the httpd.conf file where AccessFileName
.htaccess
		2. Changed the Directory setting as follows"
					<Directory />
						Options Follow SymLinks
						AllowOverride AuthConfig
					</Directory>
		3. Restarted the Apache server
		4. Created an .htaccess file in /var/www/Documents with the
following syntax:
				AuthName	"Radiation Oncology"
				AuthType	Basic
				AuthUserFile
/usr/local/apache/conf/.users
				Require 	valid-user
		5. Created a .users file:
			/usr/local/apache/bin/htpasswd -c
/usr/local/apache/conf/.users
		6. Restarted Apache for good measure.

I am not getting getting prompted for a password at the welcome screen. The
document root directory is /var/www/Documents.
What am I missing here?

Re: [users@httpd] htaccess authentication not working

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> 		2. Changed the Directory setting as follows"
> 					<Directory />
> 						Options Follow SymLinks
> 						AllowOverride AuthConfig
> 					</Directory>

Most likely you have another AllowOverride directive applying someplace
else in the directory tree that is overriding this one.  To check, put a
syntax error in the .htaccess file and apache should return a 500 error
when you request the page.

For details on how directives are merged, see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html#mergin

Joshua.