Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2012/03/11 04:10:26 UTC

[VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

This is the third incubator release for Apache Bigtop, version
0.3.0-incubating.

*** Please download, test, and vote by Friday, March 16

Note that we are voting on the source (tag): release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0

Source tarball, checksums, signature:
     http://people.apache.org/~rvs/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/

The tag to be voted on:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/

Please also make sure to try installing our convenience binary distribution
artifacts. We are publishing the Bigtop 0.3.0 incubating distributions for the
following Linux platforms: Ubuntu 10.04, CentOS 5, CentOS 6, Fedora 15,
Fedora 16, SLES 11. The easies way to install Bigtop distribution on
your favorite Linux OS is to pick one of the attached files, and place
it (as root)
in the following folder:
   * Ubuntu -- /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
   * CentOS5, CentOS6, Fedora 15, Fedora 16 -- /etc/yum.repos.d/
   * SLES 11 -- /etc/zypp/repos.d/
After that you can follow the installation instructions from over here (DO NOT
FORGET TO SKIP STEPS #1 and #2):
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop

Bigtop's KEYS file, containing the PGP keys used to sign the release:
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS

Thanks!

Bigtop 0.3.0 release manager,
Roman Shaposhnik

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com>.
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Bruno Mahé<bm...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> I don't see any attached file
>
> I can clearly see attachments in my Sent folder. I suppose this means that
> Apache strips them somehow. Or may be they strip the ones they don't
> recognize. This time I'm attaching all of them inside of a tarball. Lets
> see if it gets through.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

This time they came through :)

Thanks,
Peter

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
> This is the third incubator release for Apache Bigtop, version
> 0.3.0-incubating.
>
> *** Please download, test, and vote by Friday, March 16
>
> Note that we are voting on the source (tag): release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0
>
> Source tarball, checksums, signature:
>      http://people.apache.org/~rvs/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/
>
> The tag to be voted on:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/
>
> Please also make sure to try installing our convenience binary distribution
> artifacts. We are publishing the Bigtop 0.3.0 incubating distributions for the
> following Linux platforms: Ubuntu 10.04, CentOS 5, CentOS 6, Fedora 15,
> Fedora 16, SLES 11. The easies way to install Bigtop distribution on
> your favorite Linux OS is to pick one of the attached files, and place
> it (as root)
> in the following folder:
>    * Ubuntu -- /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
>    * CentOS5, CentOS6, Fedora 15, Fedora 16 -- /etc/yum.repos.d/
>    * SLES 11 -- /etc/zypp/repos.d/
> After that you can follow the installation instructions from over here (DO NOT
> FORGET TO SKIP STEPS #1 and #2):
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop
>
> Bigtop's KEYS file, containing the PGP keys used to sign the release:
>     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bigtop 0.3.0 release manager,
> Roman Shaposhnik

I don't see any attached file

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org> wrote:
> I have started testing this release yesterday by doing a full deployment
> / tests.

Perfect start! I'll be doing some testing in the kerberized environment
in a few days.

> But I found at least an issue I would consider a blocker for
> this RC: see BIGTOP-446.

Let me mark it.

> 2/ zookeeper wasn't started. Once I manually started the service
> (without any issue), everything got unblocked. Probably worth opening a
> ticket.

Sounds good.

> 5/ I noticed quite a few crashes on the tasktracker/regionservers. Their
> stack traces are from being helpful. But this is an upstream issue (or
> me/puppet doing something stupid).
> 6/ Because of 5/, it would be nice to have some supervisor processes

+many. I filed this one some time ago, but still haven't had time to
work on it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-263

> 7/ It would also be very helpful to have some
> munin/collectd/ganglia/nagios integration

Agreed.

> 8/ It would be nice to be able to configure HBASE heap

You mean via puppet?

> Overall I really enjoyed it!
> The combination of puppet recipes and packages made it really easy to go
> from nothing to a 20 machine hadoop cluster.

Great to hear! I've been doing some experimenting with a couple
of node, but 20 is quite something.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
> This is the third incubator release for Apache Bigtop, version
> 0.3.0-incubating.
>
> *** Please download, test, and vote by Friday, March 16
>
> Note that we are voting on the source (tag): release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0
>
> Source tarball, checksums, signature:
>      http://people.apache.org/~rvs/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/
>
> The tag to be voted on:
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/
>
> Please also make sure to try installing our convenience binary distribution
> artifacts. We are publishing the Bigtop 0.3.0 incubating distributions for the
> following Linux platforms: Ubuntu 10.04, CentOS 5, CentOS 6, Fedora 15,
> Fedora 16, SLES 11. The easies way to install Bigtop distribution on
> your favorite Linux OS is to pick one of the attached files, and place
> it (as root)
> in the following folder:
>    * Ubuntu -- /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
>    * CentOS5, CentOS6, Fedora 15, Fedora 16 -- /etc/yum.repos.d/
>    * SLES 11 -- /etc/zypp/repos.d/
> After that you can follow the installation instructions from over here (DO NOT
> FORGET TO SKIP STEPS #1 and #2):
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop
>
> Bigtop's KEYS file, containing the PGP keys used to sign the release:
>     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bigtop 0.3.0 release manager,
> Roman Shaposhnik

I have started testing this release yesterday by doing a full deployment
/ tests. But I found at least an issue I would consider a blocker for
this RC: see BIGTOP-446.

I provisioned 20 CentOS 6 machines (8 core, 23GB RAM each), used our
puppet recipes to deploy this RC and tried to run some of my code on it
(importing a dump of freebase in my triplestore and query it)

Here are some notes:
1/ typo in puppet recipes. BIGTOP-446
2/ zookeeper wasn't started. Once I manually started the service
(without any issue), everything got unblocked. Probably worth opening a
ticket.
3/ hbase-master couldn't start because it could not connect to zookeeper
because of 2/
4/ Somehow, the jobtracker and hdfs directories got set up only after
the zookeeper issue got resolved (because of 2/)
5/ I noticed quite a few crashes on the tasktracker/regionservers. Their
stack traces are from being helpful. But this is an upstream issue (or
me/puppet doing something stupid).
6/ Because of 5/, it would be nice to have some supervisor processes
7/ It would also be very helpful to have some
munin/collectd/ganglia/nagios integration
8/ It would be nice to be able to configure HBASE heap
9/ I would rather configure hadoop heap as a percentage of available
ram, instead of an absolute value

Overall I really enjoyed it!
The combination of puppet recipes and packages made it really easy to go
from nothing to a 20 machine hadoop cluster.

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Wing Yew Poon <wy...@cloudera.com>.
Roman,
I believe you mean https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-459.
- Wing Yew

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1

Looks fine after basic checks and validations!

Cos

Posted by James Page <ja...@ubuntu.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Here's an update on the Bigtop 0.3.0 release:
  * We've triaged all the 0.3 issues:
          https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+BIGTOP+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.3.0%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
  * We've gotten quite a bit of feedback from the community. All the
     issues reported have been addressed and fixes now exist in trunk.
     I propose that we pull patches for the following issues into the branch-0.3
     and cut RC1 ASAP:
        BIGTOP-446. Typo in hadoop module for puppet
        BIGTOP-459. remove references to cloudera from the packaging files
        BIGTOP-443. deb/oozie/oozie-client.postinst installs an
alternative for a path that isn't there
        BIGTOP-382. hadoop-conf-pseudo packages contains subversion metada

Please let me know noon tomorrow if the above list is wrong/incomplete for RC1

Thanks,
Roman (your friendly neighborhood  release manager)

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi Patrick!

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
In general the release looks good. However when I grep for "-i
cloudera" from the toplevel I still see quite a few references. for
example in flume copyright file (deb pkg). This seems wrong. I'd
suggest that you run grep yourself and try to remove as many of these
references as possible.

Patrick

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

On 03/15/2012 06:08 PM, Vijay Srinivasan wrote:
> I see that the /var/lib/hadoop/cache/hadoop/dfs directory is not
> created in the postinstall script.. If this is a legit issue for deb
> packages, should I create a ticket for this ?
I think that the directory should be created with the postinstall
script, so, maybe we can create a ticket for it.

--
Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda (@marcosluis2186)
  Data Engineer at UCI

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Vijay Srinivasan <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

Posted by Vijay Srinivasan <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vijay Srinivasan <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Chang <do...@stanfordalumni.org>.
there is supposed to be a space between apt and bigtop contrib.

the content of bigtop.list is not created correctly

dc

Posted by Vijay Srinivasan <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Chang <do...@stanfordalumni.org>.
debs work, should be able to do an apt-get install and Y on verification.

dc

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vijay Srinivasan <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 March 2012 03:10, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
>> This is the third incubator release for Apache Bigtop, version
>> 0.3.0-incubating.
>>
>> *** Please download, test, and vote by Friday, March 16
>>
>> Note that we are voting on the source (tag): release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0
>>
>> Source tarball, checksums, signature:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~rvs/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/
>>
>> The tag to be voted on:
>>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.3.0-incubating-RC0/
>
> CHANGES.txt has no details for 0.3.0
>
> NOTCE says:
> Copyright 2011

Thanks! This is definitely going to be fixed in RC1. Now, if mentors could be
as kind as to take a look -- that'll be very much appreciated and will help
me cut RC1.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.