Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brannon <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/09 20:41:18 UTC

Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

I chose to use Expanders for a simple user interface - my first flying almost
solo - and I've been seeing weird behavior.

My system:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K
8 GB
Linux kernel: 3.4.6-1
Pivot 2.0.2
KDE 4.9.00
Java 7u7 64-bit (compiling to 1.6)
Eclipse 4.2
Firefox 15.0.1-1
Chromium ver. 21.0.1180.89 (154005)

I have run the attached within both Eclipse and at the console with
essentially the same results.  I mention the browsers, because I see the same
behavior when I simply open the Pivot Expanders Tutorial page at:

http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/expanders.html

Besides the tutorial page, I've attached two files that reproduce the behavior
in my environment.  Essentially the behavior is:

Browsers (tutorial page) and console running ap:  Increase in CPU load from
<5% average on all 4 to 45%+; increase in memory usage from ~2.1 G to ~3.5 G
in ~10 minutes and continuing to climb.

Eclipse running the ap:  A memory leak that eventually results in a JVM
shutdown due to GC memory being exceeded but more quickly than seen at console
or in browser.  I believe the error occurs after 15 - 20 minutes.  CPU usage
is also higher in Eclipse with at least 2 CPUs cycling to 100% at all times.
Keyboard function degrades to no <Delete> key and no cut and paste
functionality (could be the clipboard rather than the keyboard).

Navigating away from the Expanders tutorial page or closing the application
restores the system's performance to as it was before.  Memory usage drops
from (3.6 G to 2.1 G) in less than a minute, usually ~30 sec.

I'm not very experienced at using profilers.  The above info was gathered from
KDE's System Monitor.  If there are more data points I should gather, please
let me know what they are and I will learn how to gather them, if I have to.

I double checked the other Navigation Containers, and I did the whole
tutorial, and this was the only instance of weird behavior I've noted.

Thanks for your support and continuous work to make Pivot a class product.

Greg

Re: Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, don't worry :-) ....

Let us know if still there are problems with it.

I'm sorry but our CI Builds doesn't archive generated jars, so anyone
at the moment has to create them by compiling sources.
In future I'l try to look at this.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Expanders Cause Increased CPU and Memory Use

Posted by Greg Brannon <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Sandro.  Sorry I didn't find that myself.  I will do as you suggest.