Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 22:00:42 UTC

Config tab "demoted" in brooklyn web-console

Hi all,

The config tab has been moved in the brooklyn web-console. It is now a
section under the "advanced" tab.

Anyone have opinions on this?

---
This was done in https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/156,
where there was some discussion. The reason from @ahgittin was:

    "config tab demoted because i and most people i've observed don't
    use it much except in debugging -- easy to promote if that's the
    wrong call"

---
I personally found it useful, both to see the config the blueprint has
set and also for auto-generated config (e.g. the seed(s) of a Cassandra
cluster).

If we're not running out of space or looking too cluttered for tabs,
then I'd prefer to promote it again.

Aled

p.s. there have been past conversations about what (if any) is the real
difference between attributes and config; but that's a different
conversation.

Re: Config tab "demoted" in brooklyn web-console

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 to adding it back, since some settings, like the password for Docker
containers, are only available as ConfigKeys so this change makes it harder
to find.

Andrew.

--
-- andrew kennedy ? cloud engineer :
http://blog.abstractvisitorpattern.co.uk/ ;

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
As the demoter :) & recognizing the unpopularity can I second Richard's
suggestion -- of putting it as a collapsed row on the Summary page?

The reason for demoting is that in the normal course of operations, one
typically want to know see status and control what something is doing.
Thus sensors, effectors, and activities.

It is primarily advanced use cases (including debugging, and as Andrew
points out, when there are machine-generated passwords) which require
looking at config.  I realize most of us are advanced so we like it, but
for the *operators* we want to make the UI seem simpler.

But I think putting it as a collapsed tab in the summary page would make
even more sense than putting it under Advanced.  This way, at the
summary you get a high-level view of the activity and if you wish, you
get information on how it was created.  (For things created from YAML,
the YAML is shown on this tab also.) Config would fit neatly there --
and hopefully those of us who do need it often can find it there a
little more easily than under advanced (with one click from the default
Summary view, rather than two).

Needless to say if everyone still thinks this is a mad idea and it needs
to be top-level it is easy to put back.

--A

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Sorry I'm a bit late here!