Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Simitchiyski, Kaloyan" <ka...@sap.com> on 2019/08/16 10:19:01 UTC

Kafka Streams close timeout calculation

Hello,

Is there a good way to calculate an efficient timeout for the KafkaStreams#close(Duration) method?
I’ve experienced some problem with my stream application because the timeout was too low but I also don’t want to set a timeout that’s bigger than the necessary.

Currently, I’m calculating it based on the partition count of the topic that the stream application reads from (e.g. 1 second for every partition), but I’m curious if there’s a better, time-tested way to do that.

Best regards,
Kaloyan

Re: Kafka Streams close timeout calculation

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@gmail.com>.
Why not just set it to a really big number, try closing about 10 times
with a stopwatch, and see what your actual close times distribution
looks like?