Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2013/03/26 17:09:19 UTC

Question about changing characteristics of a VM or data disk

Hi,

Just a quick question here.

Once you've spun up a VM or created a data disk, is it possible to change
the characteristics of said VM or data disk (like give more RAM to the VM,
increase the size of the volume, etc.)?

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: Question about changing characteristics of a VM or data disk

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
OK, cool - thanks!

Piecing together more and more of how CloudStack works daily. :)

For volumes, I don't see any reference in the GUI to the Disk Offering they
were created from.  That must be in the DB, but not exposed to end users?

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
You sir are correct :)

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
That does help, thanks.

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Thanks, guys!

Posted by Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com>.
Hey Mike ,

You don't have to necessarily stop the VM in case you want to scale up the CPU and RAM. With the introduction of this new feature in 4.2  (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dynamic+scaling+of+CPU+and+RAM ) , you can scale them up while the VMs are in the running state.

Regards,
Pranav

Once you've spun up a VM or created a data disk, is it possible to change the characteristics of said VM or data disk (like give more RAM to the VM, increase the size of the volume, etc.)?

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
o: 303.746.7302
Advancing the way the world uses the
*(tm)*
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: Question about changing characteristics of a VM or data disk