Posted to modperl-cvs@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <sb...@iname.com> on 2000/02/21 17:26:48 UTC

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

New apache.org server configuration doesn't send the 'Last-modified'
header.

>% lwp-request -m HEAD http://perl.apache.org/guide/
>200 OK
>Connection: close
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:45:38 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1 PHP/3.0.12 AuthMySQL/2.20
>Client-Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:40:08 GMT
>Client-Peer: 143.183.152.17:900

I've set the X bit (user -x-), therefore something is broken in apache
configuration!

As a matter of fact none of the html pages at perl.apache.org sends this
header.

Thank you!

Stas Bekman    mailto:sbekman@iname.com      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@iname.com>.

> > > Well, you're in group "perl", which all the files in /www/perl.apache.org/
> > > are under, and all are group writeable, so you should have all the perms
> > > you need.
> >
> > They are but when I execute:
> >
> >   ssh1 perl.apache.org 'chmod -R g+x /www/perl.apache.org/'
>
> Making every file executable is a bit silly....

Hmm, if you have another solution that will make files cached, I'm eager
to hear. That's what you told me to do, isn't it :)

> > I get 'Operation not permitted' for all files but the ones in the
> > '/www/perl.apache.org/guide' directory.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Ah, that's right, simply being in the group that's allowed write access
> does not allow one to change perms.  It seems to me if someone at least
> has group write privs on a directory they should should be able to change
> file perms on entries in that directory, since they can do that anyways
> by renaming files, but that's Unix I guess.
>
> I guess my answer is, don't worry about it.  Or, if you really want
> last-modified headers, use the plethora of other possibilities available
> through .htaccess to add those headers or turn off SSI parsing of html
> files under perl.apache.org.

OK, thanks!

Sorry for bothering you...

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.

> > > That's what I do :) But I don't have the perms to do this on other files,
> > > which can definitely make the traffic lower from apache.org by sending the
> > > correct header.
> >
> > Well, you're in group "perl", which all the files in /www/perl.apache.org/
> > are under, and all are group writeable, so you should have all the perms
> > you need.
>
> They are but when I execute:
>
>   ssh1 perl.apache.org 'chmod -R g+x /www/perl.apache.org/'

Making every file executable is a bit silly....

> I get 'Operation not permitted' for all files but the ones in the
> '/www/perl.apache.org/guide' directory.
>
> Any ideas?

Ah, that's right, simply being in the group that's allowed write access
does not allow one to change perms.  It seems to me if someone at least
has group write privs on a directory they should should be able to change
file perms on entries in that directory, since they can do that anyways
by renaming files, but that's Unix I guess.

I guess my answer is, don't worry about it.  Or, if you really want
last-modified headers, use the plethora of other possibilities available
through .htaccess to add those headers or turn off SSI parsing of html
files under perl.apache.org.

	Brian

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@iname.com>.

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@iname.com>.
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > > Um, you need to set the *group* x bit.  I did that on guide/index.html and
> > > it now is served up with last-modified headers.
> >
> > My fault. Thank you very much Brian.
> >
> > Is it possible to make this operation (chmod g+xw) automatical on
> > 'cvs update'? I take care of the /guide tree but the other documents on
> > the site don't have this bit set, therefore no caching happens (I've no
> > permissions to chmod other files).
>
> Not that I know of.  I'm not sure if you change the file perms and commit
> that if that perms will propagate to checkouts as well.

No, it doesn't preserve the file permissions.

> If not, write a
> script that will change the files you care about (maybe it's *.html) and
> set the right x bit.

That's what I do :) But I don't have the perms to do this on other files,
which can definitely make the traffic lower from apache.org by sending the
correct header.

Thank you, Brian.

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > Um, you need to set the *group* x bit.  I did that on guide/index.html and
> > it now is served up with last-modified headers.
>
> My fault. Thank you very much Brian.
>
> Is it possible to make this operation (chmod g+xw) automatical on
> 'cvs update'? I take care of the /guide tree but the other documents on
> the site don't have this bit set, therefore no caching happens (I've no
> permissions to chmod other files).

Not that I know of.  I'm not sure if you change the file perms and commit
that if that perms will propagate to checkouts as well.  If not, write a

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@iname.com>.
> Um, you need to set the *group* x bit.  I did that on guide/index.html and
> it now is served up with last-modified headers.

My fault. Thank you very much Brian.

Is it possible to make this operation (chmod g+xw) automatical on
'cvs update'? I take care of the /guide tree but the other documents on
the site don't have this bit set, therefore no caching happens (I've no
permissions to chmod other files).

Bill, it's OK now.

Re: Last-modified date (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.