Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by j....@chello.nl, j....@chello.nl on 2019/06/04 08:39:40 UTC

kafka-topics.sh in ssl environment

Hi,

I'm using kafka 2.11-2.2.1.
The use of --zookeeper when running kafka-topics.sh is still working, but deprecated.
If I try to use --bootstrap-server in my SSL enabled Kafka environment, I get a nice OutOfMemory error:

[root@tlkfk001 bin]# ./kafka-topics.sh --bootstrap-server tlkfk001:9093 --list
[2019-06-04 10:22:53,822] ERROR Uncaught exception in thread 'kafka-admin-client-thread | adminclient-1': (org.apache.kafka.common.utils.KafkaThread)
        at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.<init>(HeapByteBuffer.java:57)

Luckily, /var/log/messages gives a more understandable error:   SSL handshake failed

So, what to do ?
Do I need to keep using --zookeeper for the time being ? Or is there another way I can use kafka-topics.sh using --bootstrap-server ?
Will kafka-topics.sh get an extra parameter like kafka-console-consumer.sh ( --consumer.config) ?

Thanks,
Hans

Re: kafka-topics.sh in ssl environment

Posted by j....@chello.nl, j....@chello.nl.
Never mind,

I figured it out.....
Use of the --command-config option really helps ;=))