Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2009/02/10 22:54:21 UTC

[VOTE] Changing the version number and what to change it too

Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.

Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
[ ] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
[ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
Question 2, otherwise keep it the same
[ ] Keep the release number as M.x

Question 2: Change the version number to:
[ ] 0.5
[ ] 1.5
[ ] 5

- Aidan

http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Changing the version number and what to change it too

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/10 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:
> Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
> on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
> made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.
>
> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
> Question 2, otherwise keep it the same
> [+1] Keep the release number as M.x

I'm going to assume I still get a vote for question 2, even though I
would prefer not to change the version numbers at this point in time

> Question 2: Change the version number to:
> [+1] 0.5
> [ ] 1.5
> [ ] 5

-- Rob (still thinking we should wait for API stability, universal
0-10 support, and then call it 3.0)

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
[x] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
+1

Question 2: Change the version number to:
[x] 1.5
+1

Marnie

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
> [X] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
> Question 2, otherwise keep it the same
> [ ] Keep the release number as M.x
+1
> Question 2: Change the version number to:
> [X] 0.5
> [ ] 1.5
> [ ] 5

+1

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2009/2/10 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:
> Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
> on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
> made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.
>
> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
Question 2, otherwise keep it the same
[X] Keep the release number as M.x

> Question 2: Change the version number to:
> [ ] 0.5
> [ ] 1.5
> [ ] 5

I really don't think we should change our numbering now. I understand
the pain in the C++ tool chain and the desire to have a single release
number across the project. However, I think in the markets that Qpid
is going the fact is that the version number conveys a level of
stability. Moving to version 5 to me seems most in line with the
maturity of the product from a Java client users view. It runs with
both brokers and they are insulated from change by using JMS.

While I seem to be in the minority on this I would say we should keep
M5 a small and change set and then take our next release to a numeric
only version. What that is I'm open to 0.5/1.x seems to low and 6
would be artificially high. Anyway we can discuss all that later and
not on the Vote thread.

> - Aidan
>
> --
> Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
> http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Martin Ritchie

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
>>> on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
>>> made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.
>>
>> Just a heads up that I'm going to tally this tomorrow, so if you want
>> a say stick your oar in soon. ;)
>
> Would it be considered rude to ask for a summary of what the problems
> with the 'M' are? I was away when the thread started and though I have
> tried to catch up, I'm still not clear in that point. I'm aware that
> its awkward for the c++ automake build and consequently the c++
> tarball does not include it. Are there other issues?

I primarily want to get rid of it for automake etc... and because it
confuses people.
regards,
Carl.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Would it be considered rude to ask for a summary of what the problems with
> the 'M' are? I was away when the thread started and though I have tried to
> catch up, I'm still not clear in that point. I'm aware that its awkward for
> the c++ automake build and consequently the c++ tarball does not include it.
> Are there other issues?

That's the main, technically solid reason for it. Speaking personally,
I think it's rather ugly and having seperate (if related) versions for
the C++ and non-C++ artifacts is a bit odd.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Changing the version number and what to change it too

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
>> on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
>> made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.
>>
>> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
>> [ ] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
>> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
>> Question 2, otherwise keep it the same
>> [ ] Keep the release number as M.x
>>
>> Question 2: Change the version number to:
>> [ ] 0.5
>> [ ] 1.5
>> [ ] 5
>>

> Thanks for your votes! Tallying this was a little odd, so here are the
> combinations of votes cast:
>
> Question 1, option 1, Question 2, Option 1 (change to any, prefer
> 0.5): rajith, nsantos, tross, aconway
> Question 1, option 2, Question 2, Option 1 (Change to 0.5 only): aidan
> Question 1, option 2, Question 2, Option 2 (change to any, prefer
> 1.5): marnie, cctrieloff, rgreig, arnaudsimon
> Question 1, option 3, Question 2, Option 1 (no change, prefer 0.5):
> rgodfrey, rhs
> Question 1, option 3, Question 2, no option (no change, abstain): ritchiem
>
> So, the votes for changing it are 9 (rajith, nsantos, tross, aconway,
> marnie, cctrieloff, rgreig, arnaudsimon, aidan), the votes for leaving
> it as M5 are 3 (rgodfrey, rhs, ritchiem).
>
> The votes for the new number being 0.5 are 7 (rajith, nsantos, tross,
> aconway, rgodfrey, rhs, aidan), the votes for the new number being 1.5
> are 4 (marnie, cctrieloff, rgreig, arnaudsimon).
>
> Therefore the next release will be Apache Qpid 0.5! All praise Apache Qpid!
>
> - Aidan

Thanks for doing this -- 0.5 it is!
Carl.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Changing the version number and what to change it too

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nuno Santos <ns...@redhat.com>.
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
> [X] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
+1

> Question 2: Change the version number to:
> [X] 0.5
+1
(my first preference, but I could live with 1.x too)

Nuno

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
> Question 2, otherwise keep it the same

+1

> Question 2: Change the version number to:
> [ ] 0.5

+1

Rajith

Re: [VOTE] Changing the version number and what to change it too

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> Since the other thread got canned, let's hope we can get a resolution
> on this one. Two questions, since there are orthogonal choices to be
> made and Apache doesn't support condorcet voting.
>
> Question 1: Change the version number from M.x:
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to any of the other options
> [ ] Change the release from M.x to only my preferred option from
> Question 2, otherwise keep it the same

[X] Keep the release number as M.x

> Question 2: Change the version number to:

[X] 0.5

> [ ] 1.5
> [ ] 5

FWIW, I think this vote is being held too early since it's really about
the release number for M5, and we don't yet know what is in M5. I
certainly hope that my own opinion will change based on what we get done
for this release. I think we should finish the planning and development
for M5 and then redo the vote prior to release when we actually know
what we're voting on.

--Rafael

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/10 Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>:

>> Question 2: Change the version number to:
>> [ ] 0.5
>> [ ] 1.5
>>

> +1, I can go either way, I just want it changed.

Do you not have to pick one :-) No dangling chads in apache votes...

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.