Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/05/31 23:23:33 UTC

ComponentManager switchover to ServiceManager

Folks,

Can I suggest that JAMES obsoletes use of ComponentManager and instead
uses its sucessor ServiceManager.
This is a really easy update, anyone could do it and it changes no
functionality of James, just brings it inline with other Cornerstone and
Avalon-apps blocks.

I can voluteer to perform this maintenance type update, if it is voted
for and if you folks have not already purged my CVS rights...

Regards,

- Paul

Re: ComponentManager switchover to ServiceManager

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Andrei,

Yes, I've found exactly the same thing.  I've left the Store
using/wrapping comps as is and it works.  Cornerstone's Store needs to
be made more ServiceManager compatible - it is the way we have gone with
the rest of Avalon..

More news later.

- Paul

diff files Re: James SMTPServer load test - from 6req/s and crash -> 26req/s no crash

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi, Serge here are the diff files for the James classes which I had to
change to fix SMTPhandler. Zip with classes itself will come in next letter.

Andrei

PS SMTPServer has been changed completely so SMTPServer.diff just shows what
whole body is just replaced with the new one.

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi, Serge
here are the sources of modified / new James classes. To test it just unzip
and copy over existing src (***DO not do it for you configured (development)
James since it will overwrite james-config.xml!!!). When build and run.

All other James's servers can be changed same way (so they will inherit from
core.AbstractServer). No need to use AbstractService any more...

Andrei
PS in fact it will (almost :-) you will see the difference immideately) work
just fine with original james-config.xml. I've included this file just to
illustrate new options for configuring smtpserver.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Andrei,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Noel, what do you mean?
> > Has this been added to the CVS tree, yet?

The .bat and .sh files distributed with James could add the -server option
to JVM_OPTS.  Danny's point that the option is vendor specific is right, but
I'd consider adding a comment in the file to instruct users.

	--- Noel

Re: James SMTPServer load test - from 6req/s and crash -> 26req/s no crash

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Noel, what do you mean?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Has this been added to the CVS tree, yet?

No, and it probably won't as it is (AFAIK) specific to sun's JVM.
d.

RE: James SMTPServer load test - from 6req/s and crash -> 26req/s no crash

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> *definitely* upgrade to 1.4 and use the -server option (edit run.bat ||
> run.sh) then.

Has this been added to the CVS tree, yet?

And for JRE v1.3, $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/jvm.cfg should be changed to something
like:

  #
  # @(#)jvm.cfg   1.10 00/08/01
  #

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> James SMTP is able to stand this load only for about from 10 to 15 minutes
> and when it crashes with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

Try running with the -server java option, this solves a similar problem on
busy Tomcat applications.

The next thing to do is check James code to make sure that objects who's
life is over are explicity destroyed as soon as possible, so that the more
aggressive garbage collection of the -server JVM will free their memory
asap.

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi,
after experiencing several crashes of James I decided to test James SMTP
server so that not other parts of application can interfere with test
results. To do so I commented out
mailServer.sendMail(mail); @line 615 of
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler

In my test I had only three clients attacking James SMTP server running on
Windows 2K machine (256MB). Clients were sending three 4KB emails each
second. Actually I tried to use from two to six clients with same result.
The only difference is that when request rate is lower it takes more time to
wait for the outcome.

James SMTP is able to stand this load only for about from 10 to 15 minutes
and when it crashes with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

I don't think that problem is in how SMTP server is implemented but rather
in underlying cornerstone socket and connection packages...

Andrei
PS James, cornerstone, and phoenix were taken from apache cvs yesterday.

Re: ComponentManager switchover to ServiceManager

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

>> On a loosely related note, we are facing a problem with Avalon's file
>> repository due to a feature addition in the past year.  The feature
>> addition is that Avalon started numbering file

Actually, I think is relatd to the length of the key passed in.  It
dogged me too in Jesktop.  I ended up shortening the key to get round
the problem....  And yes it was becase of a change in the impl, it's
just that I didn't think about fixing the source ;-)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Sounds good.  I'm all for one codebase.  I'm not sure how to pass those
parameters to the repository code though, so if that'll work, then that
sounds doable.  I can't think why or when James would need the
"numbered" repository, so I figure it's config file will only configure
the repository one way, the way it needs.

How about "numbered" and "plain"?  The fix should be just as simple as
changing a line or two that creates the filename suffix for the
repository.  There are two repository types, but basically the suffix
starts as .StreamStore and gets renamed to .Repository6.StreamStore.

I'm thinking/hoping it's as easy as that.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge,

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> +1, and I haven't purged any rights.  In fact, I'm quite happy to make
> those rights permanent if you're interested in maintaining James with
> respect to Avalon on an ongoing basis.

+1 for both.
If you're interested in keeping us up to date with Avalon changes, I'm
happy, and even more happy to let you do the leg work too ;-)

d.

Re: ComponentManager switchover to ServiceManager

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.