Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/16 15:05:47 UTC

Maintaining information for camel-catalog in an easier way for the huge number of components we have

Hi

The information we put together for camel-catalog are assembled from
source code, pom.xml, and potentially other places.

I have thought of having a csv file (or whatever format) in the root
of components folder, where we can override the information that are
being used. As this allows to easily maintain that information instead
of having to go to each .java source code for the @UriEndpoiint and
whatnot.

So the csv file could be something like

artifactId=camel-ftp,name=ftps,description=Bla bla,supportLevel=Preview

We can of course use other formats. Or have different files for
components, languages, data formats, others, etc and then have a fixed
order, so you can easily edit this from even a spreadsheet

Any thoughts?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Maintaining information for camel-catalog in an easier way for the huge number of components we have

Posted by Peter Palaga <pp...@redhat.com>.
I am open to discuss whether some particular bits should be hosted
elsewhere from their current location, but moving all to a new file
sounds like un-rooting many of those pieces from their natural biotope.
E.g. for artifactId: everybody knows the master value is in pom.xml,
copying it to a new file will introduce a new problem of keeping the two
in sync. -- P

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
I fear that this will make this information impossible to maintain rather than just difficult and confusing, as, IIUC, there will now be two possible sources of data for every item in the catalog, and there’s a 50% to 100% chance one of them is wrong.  Can you provide a complete end-to-end use case where this is a good idea?

i have no idea if it’s remotely practical, but I wonder if a tool to go from an item in the catalog to it’s source would be possible.

Making it easier to find and edit this information is certainly a good idea!

David Jencks

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
I think it's a good idea to have information in a central location, but I
do believe the csv approach is a bit error prone.

Maybe we could focus on improving the information we already have in terms
of @UriEndpoint and java source code