Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2008/08/22 13:48:04 UTC

Open points for updating (was Re: Updating cocoon)

Hi devs,

the update process is getting smoothly and there only some open points
left:

1) Finish $FORREST_HOME/etc/cocoon_upgrade update and synchronization
with the cocoon files -> David is mainly attending this

2) Decide about the depreciation issue while building forrest. Open is
the ForrestLogTargetFactory the other one I could remove. -> we need to
decide what we want to do (implement the functionality or live with the
message). I doubt that this depreciation will be solved in cocoon but
IMO that is the only place where it makes sense to solve it. Will write
a mail to cocoon dev.

3) Issues with the CLI caused by AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline see
http://marc.info/?t=121932134400001&r=1&w=2 -> I submitted a patch but
would like to wait the feedback. For now I added the patched cocoon jar
to our libs but we need to get the patch into cocoon. I will take care
of this topic.

4) Testing the branch and merge it after vote -> it would be nice if
people can find time to test. The open issues will not influence the
testing so you can start now if you can.

salu2

Re: Open points for updating (was Re: Updating cocoon)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> the update process is getting smoothly and there only some open points
>> left:

Great work Thorsten (and David).

I'll do some testing tomorrow and report back.

Ross

Re: Open points for updating (was Re: Updating cocoon)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> the update process is getting smoothly and there only some open points
> left:
>
> 1) Finish $FORREST_HOME/etc/cocoon_upgrade update and synchronization
> with the cocoon files -> David is mainly attending this

Yes. I am happy with the progress.

> 2) Decide about the depreciation issue while building forrest. Open is
> the ForrestLogTargetFactory the other one I could remove. -> we need to
> decide what we want to do (implement the functionality or live with the
> message). I doubt that this depreciation will be solved in cocoon but
> IMO that is the only place where it makes sense to solve it. Will write
> a mail to cocoon dev.

Adding the word "deprecation" to assist with searching mail archives ;-)

> 3) Issues with the CLI caused by AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline see
> http://marc.info/?t=121932134400001&r=1&w=2 -> I submitted a patch but
> would like to wait the feedback. For now I added the patched cocoon jar
> to our libs but we need to get the patch into cocoon. I will take care
> of this topic.
>
> 4) Testing the branch and merge it after vote -> it would be nice if
> people can find time to test. The open issues will not influence the
> testing so you can start now if you can.

Item 4 should be just testing.

5) Proposal. Need to ensure that there is consensus
about doing the move. There are other possibilities.
A vote is not necessary, but it does help to draw
attention to it. I will get a Proposal email started.

-David

Re: Open points for updating (was Re: Updating cocoon)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
I added some notes about the upgrade to Apache Cocoon-2.1 version.

Please review r694614 which added upgrading notes to
upgrading_09.html#cocoon and an entry in the Changes list.
or type "694614" in Forrestbar and search "SVN Revision".

I trust that it casts this move in its positive light.
If not then please patch.

-David

Re: Open points for updating (was Re: Updating cocoon)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 13:36 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 13:48 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> > 2) Decide about the depreciation issue while building forrest. Open is
> > the ForrestLogTargetFactory the other one I could remove. -> we need to
> > decide what we want to do (implement the functionality or live with the
> > message). I doubt that this depreciation will be solved in cocoon but
> > IMO that is the only place where it makes sense to solve it. Will write
> > a mail to cocoon dev.
>
> I started a thread around this issue.
> http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=121966122007383&w=2 However I would
> like to know your opinion as well.

Till nobody comment on the issue neither here nor on cocoon. I do not
see it critical so I guess we will live with the message.

> > 3) Issues with the CLI caused by AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline see
> > http://marc.info/?t=121932134400001&r=1&w=2 -> I submitted a patch but
> > would like to wait the feedback. For now I added the patched cocoon jar
> > to our libs but we need to get the patch into cocoon. I will take care
> > of this topic.
>
> I opened as well an issue around this issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2241

I just committed the fix and closed the issue.

salu2

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
I have done various tests on my Dispatcher-based golf site
which is listed on the Forrest examples page.

It uses the "gallery" plugin and also a "simple on-line store"
plugin.

We use the Forrestbot "scp" method to deploy this, in conjunction
with the "checksums" ability of Cocoon. That worked as expected,
deploying only the single changed document. That also proved
that the html output generated by this Cocoon-2.1 is identical
in layout and formatting to Forrest trunk. Nice.

-David

Re: Open points for updating (was Re: Updating cocoon)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> 1) Finish $FORREST_HOME/etc/cocoon_upgrade update and synchronization
> with the cocoon files -> David is mainly attending this

That has reached a suitable stage now.

The process described in $FORREST_HOME/etc/cocoon_upgrade
is now working with Cocoon-2.1 branch.

The main/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf is synchronised with
that of Cocoon-2.1 branch. There is some more tweaking to do
and need some way to assist with its update. However, that
can happen later.

-David