Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Ph. Marek" <ph...@bmlv.gv.at> on 2004/03/30 06:38:51 UTC

SVN::Core not on CPAN

Hello Chia-liang Kao!

I'm trying to install SVK by using the CPAN module in perl.
But that doesn't work:
- SVN::Core is not available on CPAN
- There is a warning
	Argument "0.36.0" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at /usr/share/perl/5.8/CPAN.pm line 4624.
  But that can be ignored, I believe, because the test is

	if (not defined $need_version or
 		$need_version == 0 or
		$need_version eq "undef") {

I'm not sure whether you'll be the module author for SVN::Core, as the perl
bindings moved into a seperate project, but as you did SVK and SVN::Mirror
I'm asking you nonetheless.

BTW: Can you help me finishing my property-list readable on
http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svnusers/archive-2004-03/1315.shtml

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Phil

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Dave Rolsky wrote:
> But I still don't see why I can only compile the Perl bindings from within
> the core, and why this depends on doing 'make swig-pl-lib' (or whatever it
> is) from the top level of the source.  This is rather un-Perlish ;)

That's a different issue.  The Subversion Makefile has never been retrofitted to
make the Perl bindings in a single pass (like the Python bindings).  One reason
for this is that the Perlish way is two steps (perl Makefile.PL; make) to begin
with.  The other reason is that swig-pl-lib is compiled/linked using the
defaults (compiler and linker, e.g. -I) for the Subversion library, but the Perl
XS model requires building that portion using the defaults for the installed
Perl instance.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Timothee Besset wrote:

> Well that would more or less mean compiling all of subversion from CPAN.
> Is that really adviseable? Or should a SVN::Core module ask for an
> installed subversion with source, and take care of building only the
> bindings part? Truth is, SVN::Core has more to SWIG and C++ than to perl ..

_Most_ C-bindings modules on CPAN are able to compile if the user has the
related library and headers installed.  Of course, most of them are using
XS directly, not swig, which I believes adds a whole new painfgul layer of
dependencies to deal with, so this just may not be possible.

But I still don't see why I can only compile the Perl bindings from within
the core, and why this depends on doing 'make swig-pl-lib' (or whatever it
is) from the top level of the source.  This is rather un-Perlish ;)

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
John Peacock wrote:

>> That said, i'm not sure what the 'commonly done thing' is in
>> situations like this.  I mean we can't be the first project with this
>> kind of problem...
>

> Dependence on externals is a well-known edge condition for CPAN.  Check
> out how e.g. Tk or any of the DBD modules handle it.  I suspect it is a
> matter of making the Makefile.PL more intelligent so we can throw the
> appropriate error message, _not_ so we can provide a way to build the
> external via CPAN.

Yeah, in the latest version of SVN::Log::Index I made the actual
dependency on the bindings optional (it will try to use the command line
client if it has to), but in any case the Build.PL checks for both the
bindings and the svn executable and exits with a more descriptive error
if it can't find either.

-garrett

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> I don't know if it's advisable, but I've already gotten one email from a
> CPAN tester complaining that SVN::Core couldn't be found, and I imagine
> it's not a unique event.  People expect to be able to install all the
> dependencies of a module via CPAN, so it would be nice if we could
> accomodate them.

Sometimes the automated CPAN testing can be a pain.  I released a module (and
later deleted it) that would only work on Cobalt RaQ boxes.  Testing failed with
other platforms for some reason. ;~)

> That said, i'm not sure what the 'commonly done thing' is in situations
> like this.  I mean we can't be the first project with this kind of
> problem...

Dependence on externals is a well-known edge condition for CPAN.  Check out how
e.g. Tk or any of the DBD modules handle it.  I suspect it is a matter of making
the Makefile.PL more intelligent so we can throw the appropriate error message,
_not_ so we can provide a way to build the external via CPAN.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
4501 Forbes Boulevard
Suite H
Lanham, MD  20706
301-459-3366 x.5010
fax 301-429-5748

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by Marcin Kasperski <Ma...@softax.com.pl>.
> Well that would more or less mean compiling all of subversion
> from CPAN. Is that really adviseable?

Depends on how hard is to allow it.

> Or should a SVN::Core
> module ask for an installed subversion with source, and take
> care of building only the bindings part?

There are CPAN modules working exactly this way. For instance,
multiple DBD::* database drivers expect the database client
libraries to be present while compiling.

IMHO SVN::Core should be present on CPAN and just check whether
svn libraries are present and if not, abort printing some
instructions of where to find them and how to build.

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by Timothee Besset <tt...@idsoftware.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> Actually, I believe we decided not to move the perl bindings into a
> separate project.
>
> That said, I would love to see some solution to the whole SVN::Core is
> not on CPAN issue, as it is kind of irritating for people who are used
> to installing perl modules via CPAN.pm or CPANPLUS.pm.

Well that would more or less mean compiling all of subversion from CPAN.
Is that really adviseable? Or should a SVN::Core module ask for an
installed subversion with source, and take care of building only the
bindings part? Truth is, SVN::Core has more to SWIG and C++ than to perl ..

TTimo

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: SVN::Core not on CPAN

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Ph. Marek wrote:

> Hello Chia-liang Kao!
>
> I'm trying to install SVK by using the CPAN module in perl.
> But that doesn't work:
> - SVN::Core is not available on CPAN

Perhaps the best thing to do is to provide a stub SVN::Core on CPAN which
error's out in the Makefile.PL if the Subversion Perl bindings are not already
present.  This way, we could control the error message more appropriately for
the situation.  We do not want to make a Subversion distribution via CPAN... ;~)

> - There is a warning
> 	Argument "0.36.0" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at /usr/share/perl/5.8/CPAN.pm line 4624.
>   But that can be ignored, I believe, because the test is

That's because CLKao is implicitely using the version.pm module from CPAN (via
CPANPLUS), so the overloading is missing if you haven't already installed
version.pm.

John