Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ilyushonak Barys <Ba...@troika.ru> on 2011/03/24 11:01:46 UTC

Journal recovery error: Recovery found 32 files different from --num-jfiles value

Folks, greetings.

We have faced with one more Journal error on our MRG 1.2 installation. We have restarted broker and got the message in the error log:
19:52:06 warning Journal "Queue1": Recovery found 32 files (different from --num-jfiles value of 8).
19:52:06 warning Journal " Queue2": Recovery found file size = 128 (different from --jfile-size-pgs value of 24).

Could you please help me and explain what does it mean? Where is the root of the issue?

Best Regards,
Barys Ilyushonak
Information Technology Division
Troika Dialog, 4, Romanov lane, Moscow 125009, Russia
Phone. +7 495 2580500 ext. 1229

The information contained in this message may be privileged and conf idential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the original intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete it from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation. Troika Dialog, Russia.
If you need assistance please contact our Contact Center  (+7495) 258 0500 or go to www.troika.ru/eng/Contacts/system.wbp

RE: Journal recovery error: Recovery found 32 files different from --num-jfiles value

Posted by Ilyushonak Barys <Ba...@troika.ru>.
Kim,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
It really helpful.

Regards, Boris

These messages are from inconsistent use of the store file size and number parameters.

During recovery, the store will scan the files of previous persistent queues. It can see from the files what the value of --num-jfiles and --jfile-size-pgs was when those queues were created. If the current settings of --num-jfiles and --jfile-size-pgs does not match that when the stores were created, then this warning is displayed. This is because the original settings will take precedence, and will override the current settings.

For example, if you start the broker using 32 files of size 128 and then stop the broker, then restart the broker using 8 files of size 24, then you will see this error message for each recovered queue. The store will use the _original_ size (ie 32 and 128) and not the current sizes of 8 and 24 for these recovered stores only, all new stores will use the new size.

Your messages suggest that you are using a broker with --num-jfiles 8 (the default) and --jfile-size-pgs of 24. However, you are recovering previous persistent queues, and "Queue1" was created with the broker set to 32 files of size 24, and " Queue2" (with a leading space) was created with 8 files of size 128.

Hope that helps.
Kim

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Posted by Kim van der Riet <ki...@redhat.com>.