Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by lechlukasz <l....@ringler.ch> on 2020/03/16 12:53:33 UTC

/bin/status ERROR: transport error 202: bind failed: Address already in use

I'm experiencing something that looks like regression to KARAF-5332.

I've prepared scripts for liveness / readiness probe for Kubernetes, that
are using $KARAF_HOME/bin/status.

To test them, I've started docker container locally (with docker run) and
when calling /bin/status I'm getting the error:

karaf@15392c7dffa3:/opt/karaf$ bin/status
status: Ignoring predefined value for KARAF_HOME
ERROR: transport error 202: bind failed: Address already in use
ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized
[debugInit.c:750]

However, when I've started the same container in the cluster, I'm getting no
exception.
This is really the same container. In both cases I use the tagged image from
local docker repository.

The build details:
I'm using the newest Karaf (4.2.8).
Docker version: 19.03.6
Java version: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64
Java params: -Xmx1G -Xdebug
-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005
Docker has following port redirections:
5005/tcp  0.0.0.0:5205
8080/tcp  0.0.0.0:8280

Does bin/status make some assumption about which ports are free? Because
there are a few services that are running on the same machine (however, on
the other machine, I can replicate the same behaviour).

Re: /bin/status ERROR: transport error 202: bind failed: Address already in use

Posted by Mike Hummel <mh...@mhus.de>.
Hi Lukasz,

I already released the servlet.

https://github.com/mhus/mhus-osgi-servlets/tree/master/health-servlet

Regards,

Mike

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

What performance issue are you talking about ?

Bin/status just check the PID, so it’s pretty fast.

What Karaf version are you using ?

Regards
JB

Posted by lechlukasz <l....@ringler.ch>.

Posted by Mike Hummel <mh...@mhus.de>.
Hello Lukasz,

I created a servlet to watch health state already.

have a look to

https://github.com/mhus/mhus-osgi-servlets/tree/master/health-servlet <https://github.com/mhus/mhus-osgi-servlets/tree/master/health-servlet>

I'm using the felix health framework to check the health. So it's possible to enhance the health check.

I will release the servlet in the next weeks if you need a version in central repository. (Currently I have no time for development because of corona preparations ...)

Best Regards,

Mike