Posted to users@maven.apache.org by en...@sgx.com on 2004/01/02 04:31:48 UTC

Usage of SCM and Changelog plugins

I am trying to use the SCM plugin to checkout the source codes from CVS and
the changelog plugin to generate the change log report.  I noticed that
there is a difference between the SCM checkout directory and the base
directory for Changelog.  The SCM checkout directory is default to
${basedir}/checkout, while the Changelog always refers to the ${basedir} as
the base directory.  Moreover, when the source codes are checked out using
SCM, a subdirectory of the module name is always created under the checkout
directory.

Does anyone know how I can resolve such difference?

Some other things I noticed about the SCM plugin:
1. The SCM plugin uses the repository definition in the POM to extract the
SCM module name.  So the suggested property 'maven.scm.cvs.module' is
redundant.
2.  The SCM plugin fails when the module name contains space characters.
This happens because I am using WSAD as my IDE, and by default, the source
codes are created under the 'Java Source' directory.  A simple patch that I
had applied is to put single quote around the package name, like this:
<ant:cvs command="checkout ${maven.scm.cvs.checkout.flags}" quiet="
${maven.scm.cvs.quiet}" cvsRsh="${maven.scm.cvs.rsh}" cvsRoot="
${maven.scm.cvs.root}" dest="${maven.scm.checkout.dir}" package="'
${maven.scm.cvs.module}'" tag="${maven.scm.cvs.sticky.tag}" failonerror="
true"/>

Anyone has any better solution?

The version of Maven I am using is 1.0-rc2.

Regards,
Eng Hoe
Application Development
Technology Group
SGX Ltd

DID: (65) 62368963
FAX: (65) 64388840
email: enghoe@sgx.com

Confidentiality Caution
=======================
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email. Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that is not of an official nature shall be
deemed as neither given nor endorsed by SGX unless indicated by an
authorised representative independent of this message.

Re: Usage of SCM and Changelog plugins

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
enghoe@sgx.com wrote on 02/01/2004 02:31:48 PM:

> I am trying to use the SCM plugin to checkout the source codes from CVS
and
> the changelog plugin to generate the change log report.  I noticed that
> there is a difference between the SCM checkout directory and the base
> directory for Changelog.  The SCM checkout directory is default to
> ${basedir}/checkout, while the Changelog always refers to the ${basedir}
as
> the base directory.  Moreover, when the source codes are checked out
using
> SCM, a subdirectory of the module name is always created under the
checkout
> directory.
>
> Does anyone know how I can resolve such difference?
Yes.

The changes plugins all assume that the project is the thing the changelog
is generated for. If you are simply attaining the report goal, do that for
the project that was just checked out. there is a maven tag to do this.
See http://maven.apache.org/tags.html#maven:maven.

So in the parent maven.xml, add xmlns:maven="jelly:maven" to your
<project>, and then do:

<maven descriptor="${basedir}/target/checkouts/projectname/project.xml"
goals="..." />

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting