Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christopher Painter-Wakefield <pa...@mc.duke.edu> on 2002/06/12 22:10:48 UTC

[C2] XSLT transform error messages

A request for the C2 developers:

*Please* find a way to send back a reasonable error message when there is a
problem with a stylesheet.  The generic "Exception in creating Transform
Handler" (below) is sooooo unhelpful.  It doesn't give any clue as to the
nature of the problem, which is often subtle.  Surely the XSLT transform
classes have better error reporting that can be passed on?

Thanks,
Christopher

type fatal

message Exception in creating Transform Handler

description org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in creating
Transform Handler

source Cocoon servlet

stack-trace
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in creating Transform
Handler
             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandler(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:271)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandler(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:204)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer.setup(TraxTransformer.java:295)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractEventPipeline.setupPipeline(AbstractEventPipeline.java:215)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.setup(CachingEventPipeline.java:279)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.generateKey(CachingEventPipeline.java:142)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.process(CachingStreamPipeline.java:320)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(SerializeNode.java:153)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:85)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PreparableMatchNode.invoke(PreparableMatchNode.java:156)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:109)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(PipelineNode.java:140)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:109)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(PipelinesNode.java:130)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:323)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:293)

             at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:998)
             at
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

             at
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

             at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:475)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

             at
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2343)
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

             at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

             at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

             at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:468)
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)

             at
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)

             at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

             at
             at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
             at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1012)

             at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1107)

             at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Re: [C2] XSLT transform error messages

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Christopher Painter-Wakefield wrote:
> A request for the C2 developers:
>
> *Please* find a way to send back a reasonable error message when there is a
> problem with a stylesheet.  The generic "Exception in creating Transform
> Handler" (below) is sooooo unhelpful.  It doesn't give any clue as to the
> nature of the problem, which is often subtle.  Surely the XSLT transform
> classes have better error reporting that can be passed on?

What version of Cocoon are you using?
Presently, if all goes as intended, you should get the correct
exception, and also the row and column of the problem.

Please send me a testcase that fails on latest 2.0.3 CVS branch and I'll
personally look into it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -