Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Patrick Diviacco <pa...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/28 13:49:25 UTC

Are Okapi BM25 scores normalized into 0 and 1 ?

Is Okapi BM25 (its implementation in Lucene:
nlp.uned.es/~jperezi/Lucene-BM25) returning back normalized query scores (in
between 0 and 1) ?

According to Okapi formula the final score should be normalized. Could you
give some information about that ?

thanks

Re: Are Okapi BM25 scores normalized into 0 and 1 ?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Patrick if the question is about the code snippert at the page you mention, which I copy below, I believe the answer is no and the author is aware of it since he is adding a comment about not-normalized in the second example.

ScoreDocs and TopDocs are not returning normalized scores.
Normalized scores tend to be rare in Lucene nowadays, I believe earlier strategy was to divide by max-score when the latter was bigger than 1.

paul

	IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher("IndexPath");

	//Load average length
	BM25Parameters.load(avgLengthPath);
	BM25BooleanQuery query = new BM25BooleanQuery("This is my Query",
		"Search-Field",
		new StandardAnalyzer());

	TopDocs top = searcher.search(query, null, 10);
	ScoreDoc[] docs = top.scoreDocs;

	//Print results
	for (int i = 0; i $<$ top.scoreDocs.length; i++) {
	      System.out.println(docs[i].doc + ":"+docs[i].score);
	}

Posted by Patrick Diviacco <pa...@gmail.com>.