Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Nicolas <ma...@librenberry.net> on 2009/08/14 15:16:30 UTC

Add field partyName on entity Party

Hello,

Actually, I work on Party component to import Neogia functionality on
OFBiz trunk. I create  some addons use by the Neogia that apply on OFBiz
trunk with addon-manager and I submit to you the functionality.

My first addons add a partyName field to Party entity. Why ?
In Ofbiz, you have two partyType : Person and PartyGroup, when you want
have the  name, it's necessary to call Person or PartyGroup company, and
on many form we have (as lookupPartyName):
 < field  name="firstName">..</
 < field  name="lastName">..</
 < field  name="groupName">..</

With unique partyName field we have :

 < field  name="partyName">..</

This field is populate by secas when Person or PartyGroup is create/update

An other advantage, when we add a new PartyType, we just create populate
service for this new type and not operate modification on many form.
It's easier to manage customer specific.

Are you interested by this feature ? I can create a Jira and prepare a
patch to apply on OFBiz trunk.

Nicolas

Re: Add field partyName on entity Party

Posted by Nicolas <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> From: "Nicolas" <ma...@librenberry.net>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Actually, I work on Party component to import Neogia functionality on
>> OFBiz trunk. I create  some addons use by the Neogia that apply on
>> OFBiz trunk with addon-manager and I submit to you the functionality.
>>
>> My first addons add a partyName field to Party entity. Why ?
>> In Ofbiz, you have two partyType : Person and PartyGroup, when you
>> want have the  name, it's necessary to call Person or PartyGroup
>> company, and on many form we have (as lookupPartyName):
>> < field  name="firstName">..</
>> < field  name="lastName">..</
>> < field  name="groupName">..</
>>
>> With unique partyName field we have :
>>
>> < field  name="partyName">..</
>>
>> This field is populate by secas when Person or PartyGroup is
>> create/update
>
> Sounds like interesting, but I'm not sure to understand. How is
> actually partyName populated ? (beware actually is not actuellement in
> French : faux ami ;o)
Arg, exactly is not actualy but currently :) sorry. So currently I
create an seca on Person and PartyGroup created/updated that call
service to update partyName.

For a Person, service do partyName = lastName + firstName
For PartyGroup, service do partyName = partyGroup + [partyGroupLocal]

I hope it's more understandable :)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

From: "Nicolas" <ma...@librenberry.net>

Posted by Bob Morley <rm...@emforium.com>.
We had a similar problem with getting a consistent name across the party
inheritence model.  The approach we are in the process of taking is to
enhance the PartyNameView (or provide a new one) to support a complex-alias
that can be a coalesce of the various components in combination with using a
static method to consistently format the name.

The first part is important because (at least in our appliation) it is a
requirement to sort parties in a list properly by name (as well as filtering
on those values).  As a result, it is nearly manditory to produce a field
for these operations at the database level.  Typically you do not want to
have your database dictate formatting, so we leave that for the method that
can be configured.

The rub here is that for sorting / filtering we have to be fairly close to
the resulting format.  If you format "Last, First" (for a person) then the
database field needs to combine in that order but not necessarily with
equivalent seperators.

.B

Posted by Nicolas <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Hi Hans, Hi David,