Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pranav <me...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/24 03:01:34 UTC

Problem with Validation framework

Hi All,

I am having a problem with validation framework. This is the first time I am trying to use struts2 validation. Here's different code pieces that I have.

######## UserLookupAction-validation.xml

<validators>
    <field name="memberId">
        <field-validator type="requiredstring">
           <message>You must enter a value for Member ID.</message>
       </field-validator>
       <field-validator type="stringlength">
             <param name="maxLength">20</param>
             <message>
                 Member ID cannot contain more than 20 characters
             </message>
         </field-validator>
    </field>
</validators>

########### finduser.jsp

<s:head theme="ajax"/>
      <s:form
            id='MemberInputForm'
            action='LookupUser'
            method='post'
            theme="ajax"
            validate="true">
      </s:form>

########## struts.xml

<action name="LookupUser" class="com.intuit.sbfw.action.mc.UserLookupAction">
      <result name="input">/html/finduser.jsp</result>
       <result>/html/finduserResult.jsp</result>
</action>

Notes:
1) My package extends from struts-default and so I am using the defaultStack.
2) My Action class UserLookupAction extends from ActionSupport class.

Questions:
1) I am not seeing any validation error even when i leave the memberId as blank. The log file does not say anything at all. Is it because I am using theme as "ajax"?
2) I see this message when I invoke my very first action: INFO  [ActionValidatorManagerFactory] Detected AnnotationActionValidatorManager, initializing it...
Does this mean that I have to use Annotation only to configure the validation rules and I cannot use the xml approach?
3) What could be wrong with my setup so that my validation classes are not working?

Thanks
Pranav

Re: Problem with Validation framework

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
> <action name="LookupUser"
> class="com.intuit.sbfw.action.mc.UserLookupAction">

UserLookupAction-validation.xml is in the same path as class above?

> 2) I see this message when I invoke my very first action: INFO
>  [ActionValidatorManagerFactory] Detected AnnotationActionValidatorManager,
> initializing it...
> Does this mean that I have to use Annotation only to configure the
> validation rules and I cannot use the xml approach?

No, you can, but you can also use in the same time xml base validation

> 3) What could be wrong with my setup so that my validation classes are not
> working?

Check if xml file is in the same path when you deploy your application. Do
you use maven2?

Regards
--
Lukasz

http://www.linkedin.com/in/lukaszlenart

RE: Problem with Validation framework

Posted by Sanjeewa Saman <sa...@mubasher.net>.
HI
I hope that this will help you

http://struts2issues.blogspot.com/

BR,
sanj
[...]

targets="userDetailsDiv" onLoadJS="initializeAppDropdowns(data,
type)"/></td>
      </s:form>
content</b></div>