Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/07/02 10:00:20 UTC

Releasing 2.1beta1

Hi,

I just wanted to check what the general feeling about releasing the
beta 1 is.

As you might have noticed I didn't do the release, because there
were some ongoing changes in the FOM and I don't want to release
something in the middle of the development. So what's the status
here?

Please, I don't want the general comments like "we shouldn't
delay this any further" or "I need it now" etc. I'm prepared
to do the release at any day, so I'm just waiting for a go
from the FOM development and I would like to see some
docs/release notes explaining the status of FOM.

Carsten

Re: Releasing 2.1beta1

Posted by re...@gmx.net.
> On 2/07/2003 15:44 Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
> > I'd be more in favor of a new milestone, since the current discussion on
>
> > FOM is about APIs.
>
> +1
>
> I went looking, but couldn't find back a reference to me asking "why the
> fuzz of suddenly jumping from milestones to betas" - although I vaguely
> recall myself posting such a thought. Anyway, here you are. :-)
>
> IMHO, 'beta' should mean dependable code with possibly bugs. 5 days
> won't get us there, I believe.
>
> So +1 on M3 anytime soon,

+1 for M3 too.

-0.5 on beta1 before FOM is considered
> finished and people got actual quality time with it.

I think we make big steps forward and the beta should contain a flow
design/implementation we have agreed on (votings). Currently only a few issues are
open - I'll summarize them ASAP and start the votings at the end of this week.
So I would see a beta in this sense around the 14th.

So -0.5 on a beta now too.

Expect a summary of the current status of the flow soon (this evening or
tomorrow morning).

Reinhard

Re: Releasing 2.1beta1

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 2/07/2003 15:44 Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I'd be more in favor of a new milestone, since the current discussion on
> FOM is about APIs.

+1

I went looking, but couldn't find back a reference to me asking "why the
fuzz of suddenly jumping from milestones to betas" - although I vaguely
recall myself posting such a thought. Anyway, here you are. :-)

IMHO, 'beta' should mean dependable code with possibly bugs. 5 days
won't get us there, I believe.

So +1 on M3 anytime soon, -0.5 on beta1 before FOM is considered
finished and people got actual quality time with it.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: Releasing 2.1beta1

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I'd be more in favor of a new milestone, since the current discussion on
> FOM is about APIs.

We agreed that we don't want to postpone the release because of the FOM :)
So, I see two alternatives: a) if it's possible to define the contracts
in the next, let's say 5 days, we wait. If not, we should add a good
doc about this topic and make the release.

> Also, some discussion I had with "ReSTy" Marc about the flow led to some
> thoughts that may impact the names of the underlying interfaces. Stay
> tuned, a RT will come soon.

:)

Carsten

Re: Releasing 2.1beta1

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just wanted to check what the general feeling about releasing the
>beta 1 is.
>
>As you might have noticed I didn't do the release, because there
>were some ongoing changes in the FOM and I don't want to release
>something in the middle of the development. So what's the status
>here?
>
>Please, I don't want the general comments like "we shouldn't
>delay this any further" or "I need it now" etc. I'm prepared
>to do the release at any day, so I'm just waiting for a go
>from the FOM development and I would like to see some
>docs/release notes explaining the status of FOM.

I'd be more in favor of a new milestone, since the current discussion on
FOM is about APIs.

Also, some discussion I had with "ReSTy" Marc about the flow led to some
thoughts that may impact the names of the underlying interfaces. Stay
tuned, a RT will come soon.

Sylvain