Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Ted Boyd <te...@t-marent.com> on 2001/08/14 03:37:33 UTC

dumb newbie question

I have installed a binary on a win32 machine running Windows Mellennium.
All configuration is the default. The configuration shows ServerName
tmar2.mshome.net. The ServerRoot is "C:/program Files/Apache
Group/Apache". The DocumentRoot is "C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache/htdocs.

I have put and index.html file in the DocumentRoot. Normally on other
servers that I have used the URL to get the index.html would be
http://tmar2.mshome.net or http://tmar2.mshome.net/index.html. I have
tryed many variations of this including putting a / at the end. I keep
getting an error 404. What am I doing wrong?

[OFF TOPIC] Re: dumb newbie question

Posted by Cody Sherr <cs...@covalent.net>.
Ted,

You should check the access logs in the Apache directory in C:/Program
Files/ApacheGroup/logs to determine what file the server is attempting to
serve and not finding. You also man need to check your DirectoryIndex
directive to make sure that there is no index.html/index.htm confusion.

This is off topic for the docs list.

Cody Sherr

Engineer
Covalent Technologies