Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by 'Roman Neuhauser' <ne...@bellavista.cz> on 2003/07/07 17:31:49 UTC

kidnapped into a thread [was: Re: project_status.html]

# pll@lanminds.com / 2003-07-07 13:20:48 -0400:

>   Ben> then go to the front page of svn.collab.net, and click the link
>   Ben> to the "update the live web site".
>
> Okay, all set.  I've set the release date to be tomorrow (I *hope* I
> can get this done by then!)

    Guys, I don't want to be a PITA, but this is really annoying.

    What else (besides setting appropriate MFT and expressing my
    preference in my .sig) can I do to prevent what has so far happened
    every time I post on the svn dev@ list: I'm forced to weed through
    mail I didn't want, and that's completely unrelated to me.

Re: kidnapped into a thread [was: Re: project_status.html]

Posted by 'Roman Neuhauser' <ne...@bellavista.cz>.
# kfogel@collab.net / 2003-07-07 13:16:24 -0500:
> "'Roman Neuhauser'" <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> >     I posted to question. Headers of that message included

> >     This header hasn't taken off beyond being an IETF proposal
> >     (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98dec/I-D/draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt)
> >     but is honored, and set, by MUAs such as mutt or gnus.
>
> Huh.  I'm using gnus, but M-x gnus-summary-followup-with-original
> (i.e., hitting "F") still follows up to you.

    [taken off-list]

Re: kidnapped into a thread [was: Re: project_status.html]

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"'Roman Neuhauser'" <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
>     I posted to question. Headers of that message included

>     This header hasn't taken off beyond being an IETF proposal
>     (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98dec/I-D/draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt)
>     but is honored, and set, by MUAs such as mutt or gnus.

Huh.  I'm using gnus, but M-x gnus-summary-followup-with-original
(i.e., hitting "F") still follows up to you.  For example, the message
I'm replying to now had this in its headers

But when I hit "F", the recipient fields of this message were

   To: "'Roman Neuhauser'" <ne...@bellavista.cz>
   Cc: svn <de...@subversion.tigris.org>

>     I'm not particularly interested in discussing the procedures that
>     should precede a Subversion release, yet the posts end up in my
>     inbox, and that's what I object. I might have mutt send
>     the list, but that would make it hard for anyone wanting to send me
>     a truly private reply.
>
>     Anyway, I'll just shut up, and eventually just mangle the Reply-To
>     heeader.

Sorry for the lossage :-(.

>     BTW, thanks for the software, it rocks.

Thanks!

Re: kidnapped into a thread [was: Re: project_status.html]

Posted by 'Roman Neuhauser' <ne...@bellavista.cz>.
# kfogel@collab.net / 2003-07-07 12:44:50 -0500:
> "'Roman Neuhauser'" <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
> >     Guys, I don't want to be a PITA, but this is really annoying.
> >
> >     What else (besides setting appropriate MFT and expressing my
> >     preference in my .sig) can I do to prevent what has so far happened
> >     every time I post on the svn dev@ list: I'm forced to weed through
> >     mail I didn't want, and that's completely unrelated to me.
>
> Huh?  Sorry, I don't understand what phenomenon you're describing.
>
> Uh, try describing it in detail & non-metaphorically?

    Yes.

"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
> He means that we are 'replying to all' on messages in a thread,
> keeping him copied.
>
> He's the only one complaining (others aren't voicing it at least).
> Furthermore the only way to fix this is for him to stop posting.  You
> can't expect all subscribers to this list to live strictly by 'the' rules.
> This project already has a high bar for about everything.  I'm not willing
> to add another one for participating on the mailing list.

Heck, what rule would solve this anyway?  I mean, if someone posts in
a thread, then it's quite reasonable for them to be kept in the
recipient list for the remainder of the thread -- in fact that's
considered good manners, or so I thought.  There may be some posters
who prefer the opposite behavior, but we'd never be able to keep track
of which ones.

Probably there's some magic header he can set that most mailers will
obey, that means "don't include me in followups".  But I don't know
what it is.

Roman, I'm deliberately CC'ing this to you in case you want to
research the existence of such a header.

-Karl

RE: kidnapped into a thread [was: Re: project_status.html]

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Sander

Re: kidnapped into a thread [was: Re: project_status.html]

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"'Roman Neuhauser'" <ne...@bellavista.cz> writes:
>     Guys, I don't want to be a PITA, but this is really annoying.
>
>     What else (besides setting appropriate MFT and expressing my
>     preference in my .sig) can I do to prevent what has so far happened
>     every time I post on the svn dev@ list: I'm forced to weed through
>     mail I didn't want, and that's completely unrelated to me.

Huh?  Sorry, I don't understand what phenomenon you're describing.

Uh, try describing it in detail & non-metaphorically?

-K