Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/29 04:05:54 UTC

Official Docker image

Hi,

I was going through Cosmin Lehene's
http://www.slideshare.net/clehene/elastic-hbase-on-mesos and noticed there
was no official HBase Docker image:
https://hub.docker.com/search/?q=hbase&page=1&isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&starCount=0&pullCount=0

Is there a particular reason for that or it just slipped everyone's mind or
is just not important?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Official Docker image

Posted by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Don't have containerized HBase, but it's not terribly hard and Cosmin
Lehene has done it here: https://github.com/clehene/elastic-hbase (this not
just *just* containerized HBase, but also has the Marathon part for running
on top of Mesos)

But I think that HBase+Marathon+Mesos story is not complete.  Sure,
Marathon could move a Docker container with HBase RS in it to another node
in the cluster, but what happens with data locality when that happens?
Cosmin's talk touches on that and
http://www.confluent.io/blog/making-apache-kafka-elastic-with-apache-mesos
mentions the same sort of problems, but in the context of Kafka Brokers.

Otis

Re: Official Docker image

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
-user@
+dev@

Apache Geode (incubating) recently went through a round-a-bout with what
can / can not be pushed to Docker Hub due to it's status as a public
consumption point for software. The short version is that we should make
sure whatever goes there (in our name) has been subject to a PMC release
vote.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Otis Gospodnetić <
> otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was going through Cosmin Lehene's
> > http://www.slideshare.net/clehene/elastic-hbase-on-mesos and noticed
> there
> > was no official HBase Docker image:
> >

> https://hub.docker.com/search/?q=hbase&page=1&isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&starCount=0&pullCount=0
> >
> > Is there a particular reason for that or it just slipped everyone's mind
> or
> > is just not important?
> >

> It'd be a nice to have for sure. Our Dima has images for doing his
> integrated test runs but they are bound up with internal infrastructure. He
> is working on getting them out here to apache land. You have one lying
> about the place Otis?
> St.Ack
>

> > Thanks,
> > Otis
> > --
> > Monitoring - Log Management - Alerting - Anomaly Detection
> > Solr & Elasticsearch Consulting Support Training - http://sematext.com/

--
Sean

Re: Official Docker image