Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Ivanov, Alexey A" <al...@intel.com> on 2006/07/21 14:54:59 UTC

Contribution of the HTML sub-component of the SWING component

Hi all,

I'd like to announce the contribution of javax.swing.text.html package
on behalf of Intel. The archive can be found here:

The contribution includes new files implementing HTML text functionality
and a small patch for already existing files in javax.swing to integrate
the new code.

The package is incomplete, the code there is not sufficient to enable
those nice help windows in jEdit... yet. If anyone wants to help making
it complete, you have an excellent chance to do so!

For the biggest issue, there is no HTML parser. Some tags are not
supported yet, such as AREA, MAP, APPLET, IFRAME, OBJECT, PARAM and some
others, as well as incomplete support of CSS1 properties. The list of
known issues and TODOs can be found in the README file included in the
contribution, as well as the building and testing instructions.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for more details if needed, and I
intend to keep working on this package in Harmony.

--
Alexey A. Ivanov
Intel Middleware Product Division

Re: Contribution of the HTML sub-component of the SWING component

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Miguel Montes wrote:
> Hi all:
> On behalf of ITC, I would like to offer our help to complete this package.
> We could work in the missing parser.

Fantastic.  Please have the people working on it work here and with much
discussion with the rest of the community.

> The new contribution is based on HTML 4.01, while Sun's version is based on
> HTML 3.2,  (in fact, the DTD used is different from the HTML 3.2 DTD,
> perhaps is based on an early draft).
> ¿Which one should we follow? ¿How important is to be compatible with the
> existing codebase?

To start the discussion, fire that off as a new thread w/ the subject :

[classlib][html]  ......

or something.

geir

Posted by Miguel Montes <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all:
On behalf of ITC, I would like to offer our help to complete this package.
We could work in the missing parser.
The new contribution is based on HTML 4.01, while Sun's version is based on
HTML 3.2,  (in fact, the DTD used is different from the HTML 3.2 DTD,
perhaps is based on an early draft).
¿Which one should we follow? ¿How important is to be compatible with the
existing codebase?

On 7/21/06, Ivanov, Alexey A <al...@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to announce the contribution of javax.swing.text.html package
> on behalf of Intel. The archive can be found here:

> The contribution includes new files implementing HTML text functionality
> and a small patch for already existing files in javax.swing to integrate
> the new code.
>
> The package is incomplete, the code there is not sufficient to enable
> those nice help windows in jEdit... yet. If anyone wants to help making
> it complete, you have an excellent chance to do so!
>
> For the biggest issue, there is no HTML parser. Some tags are not
> supported yet, such as AREA, MAP, APPLET, IFRAME, OBJECT, PARAM and some
> others, as well as incomplete support of CSS1 properties. The list of
> known issues and TODOs can be found in the README file included in the
> contribution, as well as the building and testing instructions.
>
> Please don't hesitate to contact me for more details if needed, and I
> intend to keep working on this package in Harmony.
>
> --
> Alexey A. Ivanov
> Intel Middleware Product Division

Miguel Montes
Instituto Tecnológico Córdoba

Re: Contribution of the HTML sub-component of the SWING component

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Woo!  Thanks!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ivanov, Alexey A wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to announce the contribution of javax.swing.text.html package
> on behalf of Intel. The archive can be found here:

Nice!

> The contribution includes new files implementing HTML text functionality
> and a small patch for already existing files in javax.swing to integrate
> the new code.
>
> The package is incomplete, the code there is not sufficient to enable
> those nice help windows in jEdit... yet. If anyone wants to help making
> it complete, you have an excellent chance to do so!
>
> For the biggest issue, there is no HTML parser. Some tags are not
> supported yet, such as AREA, MAP, APPLET, IFRAME, OBJECT, PARAM and some
> others, as well as incomplete support of CSS1 properties. The list of
> known issues and TODOs can be found in the README file included in the
> contribution, as well as the building and testing instructions.
>
> Please don't hesitate to contact me for more details if needed, and I
> intend to keep working on this package in Harmony.

Have you considered using Andy Clark's CyberNeko HTML parsing extension
to Xerces as an HTML parser?

 http://people.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/html/index.html

It works on top of Xerces (which we ship already), it works great (can
turn any HTML into a DOM), it's pure java and it has a compatible license.

--
Stefano.