Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/04/01 15:35:51 UTC

Releasing Maven Ant Tasks

Hi,

I've synced up the Ant Tasks with the 2.0.6 release and picked a few
issues that people have provided patches for:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&&pid=11533&resolution=-1&fixfor=13337&sorter/
field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

The rest of the issues are here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&&pid=11533&resolution=-1&fixfor=-1&sorter/
field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

If you want anything in particular fixed, or have a patch let me know
and I will apply them today and put it up for  a vote tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Releasing Maven Ant Tasks

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Apr 07, at 10:07 AM 1 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 01/04/2007, at 11:55 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> On 1 Apr 07, at 9:41 AM 1 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> I still find the versioning confusing, even if the artifact ID
>>> has changed. This seems like it should be 2.1 to me
>>
>> 2.1 or 2.0.6? These are matched against 2.0.6. Is the confusion
>> not matching the version against the base release of Maven they
>> are using?
>
> Fine either way as long as we're consistent

No, I was asking if that was the point of confusion.

> (ie, 2.0.6 if we're always going to track the Maven version, but I
> thought we were moving away from that). It'd be my preference
> (maybe a little longer term) that the ant tasks declared it's maven
> dependency as 'provided' and the user decided what maven version to
> use and we versioned these according to how they advance themselves.

Hmm, I think that would be confusing as the tasks are meant to be a
library and I think we're moving toward separating out maven-artifact
itself from the core.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 1 Apr 07, at 10:17 AM 1 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 02/04/2007, at 12:07 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> 2.1 or 2.0.6? These are matched against 2.0.6. Is the confusion
>>> not matching the version against the base release of Maven they
>>> are using?
>>
>> Fine either way as long as we're consistent (ie, 2.0.6 if we're
>> always going to track the Maven version, but I thought we were
>> moving away from that). It'd be my preference (maybe a little
>> longer term) that the ant tasks declared it's maven dependency as
>> 'provided' and the user decided what maven version to use and we
>> versioned these according to how they advance themselves.
>
> Actually this might be possible now given 2.0.6 is ubered up.
>
> How about we provide a tiny maven-ant-tasks-2.1.jar, and they toss
> maven-core-2.0.6-uber.jar into their taskdef classpath?

I would still like to provide a single JAR for convenience but we
could certainly just provide the tasks though I'm always surprised at
usage patterns. Not sure if users would care about the separation
versus just having one JAR that worked. We can also provide uber jars
for the different versions of Maven as well and this might be the
only way to go because of the differences in the containers in 2.0.6
versus 2.1. We'll see how people use them.

jason.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I still find the versioning confusing, even if the artifact ID has
changed. This seems like it should be 2.1 to me (with the features