Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/10/27 04:33:46 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Watchdog Changes

These are submitted as a proposal, as opposed to a patch, for the simple
reason that I have not tested them yet.  I am just shy of 24 hours of
pushing messages through the CVS version of SMTPHandler (on Phoenix 4.0.1)
with 20 concurrent writers, and I don't see much point in testing these
until I have the fixed version of Harmeet's Scheduler.  In the meantime,
people can review my changes.

I moved all of the Watchdog construction code out of each *Server class,
since the parameters passed were all instance variables from the base class.
I believe that I can change the variables to private at this point, but I
haven't yet done so, pending review.

AbstractJamesService.getWatchdogFactory() is the only place in all of James
where we know (or care) about WatchdogFactory implementation.  Depending
upon the value of <useSchedulerWatchdogs>, it uses either the new code or
whatever Avalon Scheduler is configured the environment.

Also in the diff are the XML changes.

	--- Noel