Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Bryan Taylor <bt...@rackspace.com> on 2015/12/09 18:52:28 UTC

Hello

Hi Folks,

I just joined the list and thought I'd say "hi". I work at Rackspace and will be joining Andrew Hartnett's team there and hacking on metron. This is my first ASF project and I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

I'm curious what the development vision is for metron. What do people like and not like about the codebase? I gather this code transitioned from a Cisco internal project and is incubating now at the ASF. Are there any code changes that need to be made to support incubation?

Bryan

Re: Hello

Posted by "Marc Solanas Tarre (msolanas)" <ms...@cisco.com>.
Hey!
Also from Cisco, worked with Debo implementing a similar pipeline and looking forward to contributing back to Metron.

-M.

Re: Hello

Posted by "Johnu George (johnugeo)" <jo...@cisco.com>.
Hey All,
         I am from Cisco. Worked under Debo building a similar pipeline. I am looking forward to contribute and be part of the community.

Thanks,
Johnu

Re: Hello

Posted by "Kai Zhang (kazhang2)" <ka...@cisco.com>.
Hi Folks,

Yet another hello: Am from Cisco and I also worked under Debo building data pipeline.
Looking forward to contributing to the community.

Thanks,
Kai

Re: Hello

Posted by "Debo Dutta (dedutta)" <de...@cisco.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Sheetal Dolas <sh...@hortonworks.com>.
You would need to think of the JVM memory of a task (storm bolt in this case). For various practical reasons a task bolt heap size will typically be in the range of 2-8G, that will be shared by multiple instances/threads of a bolt in that JVM . Having more memory on a host, you would probably try to run more tasks per node than just using large memory for one task.
So I would say if system can run reliably with 2-4 Gs of heap, it has higher chances of running in most environments including dev, test etc where users may have limited resources.

- Sheetal

Re: Hello

Posted by Mark Bittmann <ma...@b23.io>.
I'm in favor of removing the MySQL database if we can find a way. We reimplemented the geo-enrichment in Spark (not recommending that, just indicating that it isn't too difficult). One concern with reading into JVM memory is that the full maxmind GeoIP database is larger than the free GeoLite version. Production deployments would likely use the licensed database. Unfortunately I don't have access to that version anymore and cant remember the total size, so I don't know whether an in-mem solution (JVM or otherwise) would be feasible.

Re: Hello

Posted by Bryan Taylor <bt...@rackspace.com>.
Good stuff. I see the patterns you are discussing on those slides as
coming up a lot for us.

Re: Hello

Posted by Sheetal Dolas <sh...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Just a suggestion, but this thread has diverged from the original subject line. Which is fine and happens all the time.

When it does happen, one thing you can/should do is change the subject line (e.g "FooBar (was re: Hello"). That makes it easier for subscribers to notice the discussion branch, and also makes it easy to follow when viewing the email archives.

Just $.02 from a mentor. :)

-Taylor

Re: Hello

Posted by Bryan Taylor <bt...@rackspace.com>.
Hi James,

Re: Hello

Posted by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Bryan Taylor <bt...@rackspace.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Bryan,

We had HSQLDB at one point, but we were struggling to make these bolts reliable.  Also, the geo data needs to be periodically updated and it’s easier to do when it’s decoupled.

Re: Hello

Posted by Bryan Taylor <bt...@rackspace.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Mark Bittmann <ma...@b23.io>.
Hi Bryan,

Re: Hello

Posted by Sheetal Dolas <sh...@hortonworks.com>.
That’s interesting question and we will have to think from feature/performance perspective as well as what versions of platforms do we want to support (and this could be dependent on immediate users of Metron)

Since we are just starting, its good opportunity to think and make better choice. Changing versions later becomes difficult.

I am inlined towards using newer (not necessarily the latest) stable releases for these reasons

1. There have been bunch of performance and stability improvements gone in almost all components recently (Storm, HDFS, HBase etc), and performance could be critical for scale
2. Most of hadoop projects try to be backward API compatible, so if someone needs to make it work with older versions, it may not be too painful
3. There are new features such as hive steaming ingest, that would be very helpful for both performance as well as hive analytics
4. Since Metron depends on many different platform components, its going to be as stable and reliable as the weakest component it. So newer stable release would make it better.

~ Sheetal

Re: Hello

Posted by Bryan Taylor <bt...@rackspace.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
Welcome aboard, Bryan!

James has articulated the immediate goals rather well - we do need to
target the latest Apache releases of Hadoop in this project however.
Specific distributions will be testing and certifying in their own special
ways. :)
Since HDP is a company specific distribution we will only discuss Apache
Hadoop compatibility here.

Re: Hello

Posted by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Brian,