Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Denise Mangano <De...@complusdata.com> on 2002/12/16 00:25:02 UTC

RE: Almost there...Updated Apach-Tomcat with mod_jk .. please he lp!

I do have appropriate permissions, as I have been able to stop it before.
There is no error message being logged when I try to stop it.

I ran ps -A which listed all processes.  httpd (apache) was not one of them.
I am assuming PID means Port ID(?), and neither 443 nor 80 was listed...
This is all very strange and I am starting to sense that I will have to
reinstall Apache...

Posted by Rasputin <ra...@idoru.mine.nu>.
* Denise Mangano <De...@complusdata.com> [1236 09:36]:

> I do have appropriate permissions, as I have been able to stop it before.
> There is no error message being logged when I try to stop it.
>
> I ran ps -A which listed all processes.  httpd (apache) was not one of them.
> I am assuming PID means Port ID(?), and neither 443 nor 80 was listed...

Use this next time:

netstat -an|grep LISTEN|grep 443

Nice simple way to show what's listening on a port, and pretty
portable AFAIK.

Re: Almost there...Updated Apach-Tomcat with mod_jk .. please he lp!

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Rafael Angarita wrote:

> > I ran ps -A which listed all processes.  httpd (apache) was not one of
> them.
> > I am assuming PID means Port ID(?), and neither 443 nor 80 was listed...
> > This is all very strange and I am starting to sense that I will have to
> > reinstall Apache...
>
>     PID is process id.
>     Denise, if you are under Solaris try lsof (I'm not sure if the sources
> are available to compile it under another platform)

Yes, lsof is available for a variety of UNIX platforms.

>     Run:
>     # lsof -i -n -C | grep 443
>     it should returns the process that is using the port 443
>     (use -C option if you are under Solaris 5.8)

I can't get this to work for me on my system (AIX).  First of all,
there's no -C option (perhaps because, as you suggest, it's a
Solaris-specific option).  But I think more importantly, it says it's
"rejected because of security mode".  apache/httpd is running as
another user, and I'm guessing the sysadmin has things setup so I
can't get that information.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: Almost there...Updated Apach-Tomcat with mod_jk .. please he lp!

Posted by Rafael Angarita <ra...@telcel.net.ve>.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Denise Mangano wrote:

> I do have appropriate permissions, as I have been able to stop it before.
> There is no error message being logged when I try to stop it.
>
> I ran ps -A which listed all processes.  httpd (apache) was not one of them.
> I am assuming PID means Port ID(?), and neither 443 nor 80 was listed...
> This is all very strange and I am starting to sense that I will have to
> reinstall Apache...

PID is Process ID (PPID is Parent Process ID) -- every process has a
unique ID number, that's one way (the main way) to identify them.
FWIW, I use ps -ef myself (the main page says -e is the same as -A,
and -f gives a "full" listing -- i.e. more info).

And, um, this isn't Windows, if something's not working quite right,
reinstalling it is not the solution :-).  It's a matter of figuring
out the correct configuration and/or the correct way of running
things.

Is Apache running currently?  Does the web server respond?  If so,
there's got to be some apache/httpd process running.  What user is it
running as?  Are you sure you're checking all the processes for all
the users?

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu