Posted to notifications@jclouds.apache.org by ericknauer <no...@github.com> on 2015/07/03 20:54:40 UTC

[jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Added ProfitBricks and related documentation.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169

-- Commit Summary --

  * Update providers.md
  * Create profitbricks.md

-- File Changes --

    A guides/profitbricks.md (466)
    M reference/providers.md (5)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169.patch
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169.diff

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by ericknauer <no...@github.com>.
Hi Ignasi,

I made quite a few changes as you requested. I was having a bit of issue
with the {% highlight java %} tags, but hopefully got it working the way
you want. It appears that github uses a different markdown parser than the
jclouds site. :-)

Wrapping the java code sections with:

```java

```

made it look nice in the github preview, but didn't work like the {%
highlight java %} tags.

Thanks,

Eric

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 3:21 AM, Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>
wrote:

> Thanks @ericknauer <https://github.com/ericknauer>! Just a few final
> comments:
>
>    - Put the abstraction tutorial the first one, as it is the common case
>    in jclouds.
>    - Mark ProfitBricks with an * in the providers list to indicate it is
>    still a "labs" provider (see how other providers in labs appear in that
>    list).
>    - Add a link tot he profitbricks provider in the user guide index file
>    <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/blob/master/guides/index.md>.
>    - Enclose the java code inside the {% highlight java %} and {%
>    endhighlight %} tags so the code is properly formatted and easier to
>    read.
>
> —
> <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-119900242>.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121079738

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by ericknauer <no...@github.com>.
Thanks for working through the whole process with me!

Eric

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>
wrote:

> Closed #169 <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169>.
>
> —
> <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#event-356935552>.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121772375

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Closed #169.

---

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://f48af4014050f4fae835-4fce1bcea9f919da61306ad78961afce.r70.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-119761982

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://758fb7e57ce8f62fb68b-07b9ff802ca96ecda87349f49ec43649.r69.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-119764866

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +			/*
> +			 * Fetches list of all Volumes
> +			 */
> +			List<Storage> storages = api.storageApi().getAllStorages();
> +
> +			/*
> +			 * Fetches list of all Servers
> +			 */
> +			List<Server> servers = api.serverApi().getAllServers();
> +
> +			api.dataCenterApi().deleteDataCenter(dc.id());
> +		}
> +	}
> +
> +## pom.xml

Why is the provider pom here? This is the pom for the profitbricks provider, but not the one users would use to build their apps using it.
I'd just remove this pom.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169/files#r34023106

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by ericknauer <no...@github.com>.
Hello Ignasi,

Thanks for the feedback. I've attempted to implement the changes you
suggested.

Eric

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>
wrote:

> Thanks @ericknauer <https://github.com/ericknauer>! This is great. Mind
> adding also an example of how to use ProfitBricks with the portable
> abstraction? That's what users are looking for when coming to jclouds. A
> copy/paste of the README
> <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/tree/master/profitbricks> would
> be fine.
>
> —
> <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-119138909>.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-119764777

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://951be72bf9f96507ee61-1045708971e5c88e33b8c4a601bf51a0.r28.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-118408886

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://e1cf4fa00940bf4c7d80-bd3d2d593cc1f42c168edc42adcf75e1.r97.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-118413973

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://04e2e7e2f8c579fe4081-ef476e2cecd28cb69148198b9bd69d03.r27.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-118428843

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://843af3d8f18d46bcbc3e-5d646d7e93f2f624295578bc558f1e41.r21.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121037812

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://690cc2f1997576d8b255-2865546ad9ea1bd071cee9d52001cbca.r30.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121078941

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://031560c55db8d4a4372c-f4bb1f71fe6dc16540befa05975dea0e.r18.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121005618

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://392d1541d91197ae3aa2-2f7a6a07fb046addf93239bb6d9fc812.r38.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121075010

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Many thanks @ericknauer! This looks great! I've just noted one thing about a block that is not properly displayed. Mind fixing that? I'll merge the PR and publish the site as soon as it's fixed.
Thx!

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121636094

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
I've squashed the commits into a single one and added a small one that fixed the links in the ToC.
Merged and published to the site. Thanks @ericknauer!

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121757296

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Thanks @ericknauer! This is great. Mind adding also an example of how to use ProfitBricks with the portable abstraction? That's what users are looking for when coming to jclouds. A copy/paste of [the README](https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/tree/master/profitbricks) would be fine.

---

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://9a27c61b55f02527d379-5d2190bf794a50557136f6e9a514d71a.r38.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-121672561

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://0eb09892d6dc7ac4cc72-1d27093a324170395626955656da459c.r32.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-118425220

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://17bac6c3388c0d099d72-6ae2988f6435681dbfa1be7f7aa26b75.r25.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169#issuecomment-120996593

Re: [jclouds-site] Adding ProfitBricks as a ComputeService provider. (#169)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
> +This works well; however, we won't be able to use jclouds' ability to execute *scripts* on a remote node. This is because, ProfitBricks' default images require users to change passwords upon first log in.
> +
> +To enable jclouds to execute script, we need to use a custom image. The easiest way to do this is via ProfitBricks snapshot:
> +
> +-  Go to your [DCD](https://my.profitbricks.com/dashboard/).
> +-  Provision a server + storage, and connect it to the internet. Upon success, you will receive an email containing the credentials needed to login to your server.
> +-  Login to your server, and change the password, as requested.
> +
> +
> +    ~ ssh root@<remote-ip>
> +    ...
> +    Changing password for root.
> +    (current) UNIX password:
> +    Enter new UNIX password:
> +    Retype new UNIX password:
> +    ~ root@ubuntu:~# exit

Also wrap this inside a ``` tag so ti is properly rendered?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/169/files#r34684514