Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kl2eativ <kl...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/01 00:01:33 UTC

Re: Tomcat 7 Manager App Authentication failure

Igor Cicimov wrote

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM, kl2eativ &lt;kl2eativ@&gt; wrote:
>
>> Hello. I am having problems trying to authenticate my tomcat 7 manager
>> app. I
>> keep getting a 401 Unauthorized page. My config is as follows:
>> tomcat-users.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
>> [code]
>>   <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
>>  <tomcat-users>
>>  <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
>>  <user username="manager" password="tomcat" roles="manager-gui" />
>>  </tomcat-users>
>> [/code]
>>
>> server.xml (Located in /etc/tomcat5)
>> [code]
>>
>>              <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container"
>>              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
>>              description="User database that can be updated and saved"
>>
>> factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory"
>>              pathname="etc/tomcat5/tomcat-users.xml" />
>> [/code]
>>
>> I restart the tomcat service ( #service tomcat restart ) , but still
>> cannot
>> authenticate. Your help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> --
>>

> First check the security-constraint in the manager app and make sure that
> the manager-gui role  is allowed access.
>
> Second, are you trying to access from localhost or remote host?
>
> Igor

Thank you for your response. I am not sure what you mean with the first
question. As for the second one I access it locally via mydomainname:8080,
Then the tomcat pages loads and to the top right corner I have the three
options, Server Status, Manager App and Host Manager.