Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "igor.berman" <ig...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/21 09:57:25 UTC

log4j.xml bundled in jar vs log4.properties in spark/conf

Hi,
I have log4j.xml in my jar
>From 1.4.1 it seems that log4j.properties in spark/conf is defined first in
classpath so the spark.conf/log4j.properties "wins"
before that (in v1.3.0) log4j.xml bundled in jar defined the configuration

if I manually add my jar to be strictly first in classpath(by adding it to
SPARK_CLASSPATH in spark-env.sh) log4j.xml in jar wins

do somebody knows what changed? any ideas?
ps: tried to use spark.driver.userClassPathFirst=true &
spark.executor.userClassPathFirst=true, however I'm getting strange errors

Re: log4j.xml bundled in jar vs log4.properties in spark/conf

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
relying on classpath loading is very brittle. You can use a system property (see https://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html ) to specify your own log4j file if you can

For example:  -Dlog4j.configuration=mylog4j.properties

Posted by mlemay <ml...@gmail.com>.
See post for detailed explanation of you problem:
http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/log4j-custom-appender-ClassNotFoundException-with-spark-1-4-1-tt24159.html

Re: log4j.xml bundled in jar vs log4.properties in spark/conf

Posted by mlemay <ml...@gmail.com>.
I'm having the same problem here.