Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by "Knapp, Michael" <Mi...@capitalone.com> on 2017/04/03 21:54:31 UTC

no interpreters

Zeppelin Developers,

I am struggling to get Zeppelin to work.  I am running version 0.7.1 on an amazon linux EC2 instance.  I used the binary package with all interpreters.  I am running this as the anonymous user.  Please keep in mind two things:

1.       We are using proxies, so if the app must download NPM, then I will at least need to configure it to use a proxy.  I saw no documentation on that on your website.

2.       Depending on the amazon instance’s security groups, I may not be able to download npm packages anyways.  This is why I upgraded to 0.7.1, so I will not be required to do that.

When I start Zeppelin, it appears to be empty.  If I click the “Notebook” drop down menu, no notebooks seem to exist, while the logs state that six of them were created for the tutorial.  I see these lines in my logs:

 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,675] ({main} Folder.java[addNote]:184) - Add note 2BWJFTXKJ to folder Zeppelin Tutorial
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,690] ({main} Folder.java[addNote]:184) - Add note 2C57UKYWR to folder Zeppelin Tutorial
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,783] ({main} Folder.java[addNote]:184) - Add note 2C35YU814 to folder Zeppelin Tutorial
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,799] ({main} Folder.java[addNote]:184) - Add note 2A94M5J1Z to folder Zeppelin Tutorial
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,814] ({main} Folder.java[addNote]:184) - Add note 2C2AUG798 to folder Zeppelin Tutorial
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,831] ({main} Folder.java[addNote]:184) - Add note 2BYEZ5EVK to folder Zeppelin Tutorial
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:34,832] ({main} Notebook.java[<init>]:127) - Notebook indexing started...
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:35,100] ({main} LuceneSearch.java[addIndexDocs]:305) - Indexing 6 notebooks took 268ms
 INFO [2017-04-03 21:35:35,106] ({main} Notebook.java[<init>]:129) - Notebook indexing finished: 6 indexed in 0s

If I try to create a new note, I click the “Default Interpreter” menu, and the only option is a check mark.  Looking through the logs, I see that many interpreters were registered.  I see 22 interpreters in my zeppelin interpreters directory.  I don’t know why none of them are options when I try to create a new note.

Lastly, I tried creating a new note, but it seems like nothing happens.  I give my note a name, and click Create Note, the form disappears, but I see no new lines in my logs, and from the UI “Notebook” menu, the new note is not shown.

Please help, I have no idea why this is simply not working.

Michael Knapp

Re: no interpreters

Posted by "Knapp, Michael" <Mi...@capitalone.com>.
I think this is a proxy security issue, I will have to figure this out on my own unless there is some method to not use web sockets in Zeppelin.

From: "Knapp, Michael" <Mi...@capitalone.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM
To: "users@zeppelin.apache.org" <us...@zeppelin.apache.org>
Subject: Re: no interpreters

Some updates:

I have dockerized my Zeppelin application now.  When I run it locally I can see the full Zeppelin home page.  When I run the exact same image on my EC2 instance, I can only see the top of the page, the header bar.  I have tried both with Zeppelin 0.7.0 and 0.7.1.  I opened the Developer Toolbar in Chrome and noticed that a websocket request is repeatedly failing.

It periodically sends a websocket request to ‘https://<my_ip>/jax/input/TeX/config.js?V=2.7.0’, the initiator is vendor.ee876a1abacbe752.js:386.  The status is 401, and type is websocket.

From what I read, websockets communicate over port 80 and 443 as well, so I don’t understand why this is failing.  My EC2 security groups permit inbound TCP traffic over port 80 and 443.  Is something else required?  I think network traffic is also passing through a proxy server, I’m not sure how that is configured.

On a separate note: if NPM is not required, then can we please not have its stack trace in the logs?  When I see that I think something is broken, but you are saying it’s not required.

I attached the log file and standard output file, but I don’t think they will help solve this problem.

Is there some configuration to make Zeppelin not use websockets?  Or maybe any other workaround?

Michael Knapp

From: Raffaele S <r....@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 5:45 AM
To: "users@zeppelin.apache.org" <us...@zeppelin.apache.org>

Hello,

NPMs are optional so there is no need to download them.

Can you please post a full log (*.log, *out)?

Raffaele

Re: no interpreters

Re: no interpreters

Posted by Raffaele S <r....@gmail.com>.