Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> on 2010/11/08 02:21:46 UTC

Protocol compliance testing for Trafficserver

A while back I put httpd's mod_proxy through the coadvisor test suite[1] and fixed a
bunch of protocol violations, most of them pedantic edge-cases.

I've just put trafficserver's forward proxy through the same suite.  First-pass results
are at http://people.apache.org/~niq/coadvisor/trafficserver-2.1.3.html
Out of 368 testcases, it shows 302 successful passes, 43 protocol violations,
and 24 test cases which failed to complete.   My comments apply to httpd, and
should be ignored for trafficserver, except where they apply to the testcases.

I expect to look for a session in IRC to work through which of these violations
and failures are genuine bugs vs configuration errors, bogus or inapplicable
test cases, etc.  Whether I'll attempt to fix anything is another matter!

The other half of the test suite is cacheing tests.  I haven't looked at those
on trafficserver.

[1] http://www.measurement-factory.com/

--
Nick Kew

Re: Protocol compliance testing for Trafficserver

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
Great, sounds good. I just wanted to make sure we don't do anything that would risk losing our CoAdvisor privileges, since it is a very useful tool.

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
  On 11/07/2010 06:21 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
> A while back I put httpd's mod_proxy through the coadvisor test suite[1] and fixed a
> bunch of protocol violations, most of them pedantic edge-cases.
>
> I've just put trafficserver's forward proxy through the same suite.  First-pass results
> are at http://people.apache.org/~niq/coadvisor/trafficserver-2.1.3.html
> Out of 368 testcases, it shows 302 successful passes, 43 protocol violations,
> and 24 test cases which failed to complete.   My comments apply to httpd, and
> should be ignored for trafficserver, except where they apply to the testcases.

Cool. I started filing a few bugs before, and fixed a few too, from the
same Coadvisor reports. I was told by Alex not to publish full reports,
so I think we should just discuss / file bugs from the reports as
appropriate.

Cheers!

-- leif