Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ross Mcdonald <ro...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/10/24 18:46:09 UTC

Newbie question on deployment strategy

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this, carefully considering bringing Maven in house to
our small company to improve a number of different systems.  I have
downloaded a couple of ebooks which are great, and I see many ways in
which Maven will make life easier, I am however finding it difficult to
track down information in the books and with the help of google on
deployment strategies for live setups.

I see the use of creating a war for initial deployment, but what about
later when  just want to send a few updated files across to a production
server?  I say there is a distributionManagement element, which can use
a number of different protocols to send files, but I cannot see any real
world examples, or find documentation with enough detail.  Can anyone
point me towards some nice easy examples on this topic?

Thankyou in advance for your help.

Regards,

Ross

Re: Newbie question on deployment strategy

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Generally yes this means a complete undeploy plus deploy of the new
war, unless you've got some special J2EE server that does it another
way.

Schedule downtime or find a low-usage time to push your WARs, just
like everybody else. Ideally you're not pushing updates out to Prod on
a daily basis but instead using your Dev and Test/QA environments for
those types of builds, and then pushing bigger updates or emergency
bugfixes out to Prod.

Wayne

Posted by Ross Mcdonald <ro...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi,