Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/08 03:50:51 UTC

Xalan build changes checked in: +xml-apis.jar

In an attempt to provide real-life code examples of use of the
xml-commons project, we've updated the xml-xalan build process to now
produce an xml-apis.jar and a xalan.jar

Hopefully, this is how it works (I'll see if I got it right for the
Gump run tonight) is close to what I'd like to see in various xml-
projects in the future, so we can more easily share common externally
defined XML standards files:

-- xml-xalan/java/src/xml-commons-src.tar.gz is a copy of the
DOM/SAX/JAXP interfaces from xml-commons
- xml-xalan/java/build.xml now untars this, then does the compile
normally
- then, the jar target creates two .jars:
- xalan.jar has just the implementation classes of Xalan-J (and still
not xsltc; that's a separate subject I'll need input from the xsltc
folks from)
- xml-apis.jar includes all the DOM/SAX/JAXP interfaces; this is
effectively the same xml-apis.jar that the xml-commons project produces
- Users now need to have both xml-apis.jar and xalan.jar in the
classpath along with a JAXP-compatible parser

Hopefully this will be easier in the long run to mix-n-match
implementations underneath DOM/SAX/JAXP.

More discussion can either go on xalan-dev or on general@xml, since
someday we'd like to organize this stuff across all of xml.apache.org

- Shane

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@lotus.com"
 quote="A mirror is like a window on the other side of behind you."/>

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com